Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is accurate treadmill distance or my Fitbit?

I am slightly confused...I have just been on the treadmill for around 15 mins. On the treadmill is says I have done 2km. Upon looking at my Fitbit that's says I have done 2.58km I am training for something so I am unsure or what progress I am making? 

Which should i follow?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Assuming you haven't messed with the stride length in the fitbit settings, the treadmill is probably more accurate.

Best Answer

@Sejpal55, the distance recorded on the treadmill is more accurate because it uses the revolution of the belt to measure distance, while the Fitbit uses the number of counted steps multiplied by your profile stride length to calculate distance.  The actual stride length on a treadmill is never the same as it is outdoors.  If your primary means of exercise is the treadmill, you can measure your stride length by counting the number of steps and dividing it into the treadmill's measured distance, and then set that distance in your profile.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, what they said. I know it is frustrating especially the faster you go the greater the difference, but I look at it like more fitness for my time. I go until the mileage I want is on my fitbit and think- I went longer. Yeah no one knows, but I know...:)

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh, mine is way off, too! As someone answered, the distance on the treadmill should be much more accurate, since it's measuring the revolutions of the belt. But I wish there was a way to fix the distance on my Fitbit!! I just went 5 miles on the treadmill and my Fitbit says I did 4.01m!!! 😞 It's cold, so I'm inside, but I think I may have to find another way to measure distance once it's nice and I'm running outside again. 

Best Answer

Mine too, but my  fitbit say 5.79 miles and the treadmill is only 3.65 miles ,way lower

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jay1919wrote:

Mine too, but my  fitbit say 5.79 miles and the treadmill is only 3.65 miles ,way lower

Then your stride length is too long.  You can fix that in your settings.

Best Answer

I would suggest the treadmill is the most accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Let the arm swing on the arm you wear it on to get better accuracy

See this thread by @MrMarv

It explains it very well

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta-HR/Step-calculation/m-p/2586363/highlight/true#M22198

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes