Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help to Get Moving

ANSWERED

Every time I think about going on the treadmill, I say to myself "Yeah sure, let's do it." But then when I actually look at the treadmill, all I can think about is sitting on the couch and watching TV. 

Does anyone have advice or something of the sorts that could help me get more motivated to work out rather than to watch TV and be a couch potato?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Forget the treadmill - get outside and enjoy real steps in the real world. One thing that works for me is to use a kitchen count-down timer, set it for 10 minutes (or whatever is appropriate for you) and start it as you head out the door. Just walk anywhere enjoying the world as it goes by until the timer goes off - then get yourself home again. Visualization of future returns: speed, agility, shape, wt. loss (or room to eat a bit more), happiness, health, etc., might help keep you going. It does take a minor amount of commitment - but if you can't seem to find time for a 20 minute health break, some serious introspection might be in order.. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Forget the treadmill - get outside and enjoy real steps in the real world. One thing that works for me is to use a kitchen count-down timer, set it for 10 minutes (or whatever is appropriate for you) and start it as you head out the door. Just walk anywhere enjoying the world as it goes by until the timer goes off - then get yourself home again. Visualization of future returns: speed, agility, shape, wt. loss (or room to eat a bit more), happiness, health, etc., might help keep you going. It does take a minor amount of commitment - but if you can't seem to find time for a 20 minute health break, some serious introspection might be in order.. 

Best Answer

Put the treadmill in front of the tv so you can't sit anywhere else to get a clear view. 

Find a walking club or fitness group.

Set goal - if you do x a certain number of times, reward yourself with a new fitness-oriented item.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out an audio book from your library that you only listen to on treadmill 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LaineyP: you need to find an activity that you actually enjoy, rather than one you view as a chore. I’m like @BruceBu: I prefer walking outdoors (I don’t have access to a treadmill anyway). If a treadmill is more convenient for you, try to mitigate the dullness of walking in place by using the time listening to something (audiobooks, podcasts etc.) or watching something, as suggested by @MagsOnTheBeach and @essieL. I got some nice Bluetooth headphones earlier this year and I now take them with me almost everyday on my walks. I enjoy listening to podcasts on nutrition and fitness and time just flies this way. I haven’t investigated audiobooks yet, but that something I have in mind. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@LaineyP hello and welcome to the community. Sadly there isn't a magic solution to motivation or getting up and making a difference in your health. You just have to want to do it. All the ideas here, I am sure you have thought of them yourself and for whatever reason didn't feel like they would work for you. I think what you may want to think about is why you want to get more active in the first place. whatever that reason is - is your motivation. If it's a good enough reason you will get on the treadmill with headphones, books, TVs- whatever you need to help you stay on. Or ditch the treadmill and go for a walk or jog outside. Or go to the gym and try a cross trainer, bike, stairmaster or lift some weights. The possibilities for activity are endless. My daughter hates all of it, but she likes to dance. Zumba is her way to get active besides walking miles on campus everyday. Find your IT thing and go do it.. whatever you choose.. much luck in your fitness journey.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

What would you say to your child when they didn't want to do something because 'they didn't feel like it"?   Set a reasonable schedule and then do it even when it's the last thing you want to do, even if you have a headache, even if you are tired.   The surprising thing is that after 10 minutes you'll not mind it as much and then find it's pretty nice.   

Exercise gives you energy, it makes you feel really good when you're done, and it will help to keep you healthy.  What other motivation do you need?

Best Answer

There's so many different ways to be active!

You can go outside for a walk instead, or join a group fitness class, lift some weights, practice yoga, go biking, hiking, etc.

And once you start moving, your body will crave more movement. Start small, and increase bit by bit until your body let's you know that it wants to move all on it's own!

I hope this helps 🙂

There's more than one way to be healthy
Best Answer