Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal heart rate range while walking

Hi there,
I’m a 32 yr old woman, relatively inactive (I walk the dog, do some yoga, and that's about it) and have always been very thin (100-115lbs)
I recently got a fitbit Alta HR and my RHR is ranging from 68-72 but I’ve noticed that in the morning my heart rate will jump to 90-100 bpm when I get out of bed/make coffee/get ready for work.

When I’m walking quite slowly, it will also go up to about 110bpm. Recovery time seems quite good, I don’t feel unwell during exertion, and do tend to be on the anxious side. My question is, is this variability normal? Does anyone know what an average healthy range is for low - moderate exercise? 

The AHA guidelines do seem to say this is within a normal range but seems high for a lazy walk with the dog.

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

I wasn’t meaning like actual exercising I was meaning being up and moving around will make your heart rate go up. If your dizzy all the time and worried about your heart rate being high id check into POTS too and see if you have that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No I know what you mean... Yes mine is like that just on a daily basis doing stuff around the house. But... it does keep me from exercising because I have a fear of doing anything to increase my HR. 

Best Answer

That’s great info! I will try this... 😊 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your heart rate is normal laying down you can do exercises laying down.  I’m in physical therapy and laying down helps me a lot since I do have POTS. 

When i I was first diagnosed with POTS I checked my heart rate all day everyday. Now I almost never check my hr unless symptoms are really bad. Checking all the time can cause a lot of anxiety so checking just when symptoms are bad can help the anxiety a lot. Monitor it but don’t over monitor.  Your heart rate being a little high also isn’t necessarily a  super dangerous thing. try not to worry too much but Definitely get it checked by a doctor and ask about POTS. 

Best Answer

My RHR get high to like 88-92 or something depend. It scares me too that’s why I bought a fit bit cus it was recommended by my doctor. I get aneurysm whenever I am just sitting and I’m in the 80’s. I try to exercise and even when I started exercising more it stays the same. Just wondering if I have to exercise longer? Harder? 

Best Answer

I will need to check that out. Ty for the info. Have anyone of you all tried any keto shakes. Sorry I know it’s off topic with HR but I wanted to know if drinking meal replacements help with HR. Cus everytime I eat it seems like my HR goes up. One time I ate tacos and rice my heart was up for a couple hours and I was getting anxiety. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not tried Keto shakes and I’m Not trying to push pots on everyone lol but I know with pots some people have an increase in hr after eating (not sure if this is just a normal person thing too to have the hr raise to some degree after eating). But People with pots tend to have low blood volume and their blood doesn’t circulate as well as normal healthy people which is what ends up causing the Tachycardia.. the heart has to work a little harder to keep blood pumping everywhere it needs.  but basically when you eat your blood rushes to your stomach to digest the food so you have less blood pumping to the rest of your body so your heart speeds up to compensate for that. Again I’m not sure if this is something that happens to some degree in everyone but I know it’s a common pots thing too.  

Best Answer

Super normal!

Not like me my resting heart rate is 57 sometimes lower when I wake up it goes to 80-100s and exercising goes to 130s or over.

Best Answer

Hey there! My RHR is about 75 on a daily basis and I'm not too active myself. 

This is going to be TMI, but might be helpful... Before my period, I get constipated and noticed my HR while walking will get up to 130/140. While not constipated, my HR is between 109-119 while walking. 

I'm also slightly anemic. You could get a easy blood test from your doc. You could also be a little dehydrated, so maybe drink a coconut water or eat some watermelon before taking your walk. I don't personally recommend pounding water, as my electrolytes get unbalanced fairly quickly if I personally pound water. 

I use a pinch of sea salt in my water, and I try to drink one V8 a day for the potassium that I put 1/4tsp of NoSalt in which is a potassium alternative to salt and has 18% DV of potassium. 

I was a gymnast all of my childhood and into my teen years, but started to develop a fast heart rate when I got pregnant at 20, and it never recovered completely.. so I have got this down to a science lol. 

I am not a doctor and cannot tell you what to do, but these are the things that work for me. 

Also, I am 5'5 and 140lbs. 

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines a few years ago and had a couple of questions, if that's OK? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
Absolutely, ask away!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, 

Hope you are feeling better.

I know I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to chime in with something that is commonly overlooked.

I noticed you said that after getting out of bed in the morning, you make coffee. If the coffee is caffeinated, then that might explain the elevated heart rate (since caffeine is a stimulant) and could very well seem like a significant HR increase from baseline if you're not taking that into account when comparing it to your pre-coffee RHR.

Some people are sensitive to caffeine which could also be contributing to some of the anxiety you described.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel like Im in the same boat. I have health anxiety, and so even thinking about it makes my HR go up. Ive had testing and whatnot and my Dr and Cardiologist say everything is fine. My resting is usually around 72 and when Im walking around, working or doing things during the day its around 95. I believe this is normal. If I pay attention to it (because I have an apple watch), I notice I get higher towards 105-110 due to my anxiety.

Best Answer
I am in exactly the same position as you!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently started to deal with this after a weird experience i had at work where my whole body kind of became out of it. I dont know how to explain it except for it feeling like a bad marijuana high where you pray you dont die. Thing is i dont drink or smoke for years. Anywho i had an echotest, several ekgs, nuclear stress test, blood tests, xrays etc... you name it i had it. All came back fine. Never had high blood pressure and during the stress test the person watching said i did as it was 140/90. I saw my cardiologist and he told me buy a blood pressure monitor for home. My blood pressure barely hits 130/80 at home its always under which means it may have been my anxiety. To the point i also dealing with elevated heart rate when i stand from the laying/sitting position. Ive had resting heart rate reach 49bpm but normally in the 60-69 range and when i stand it instantly goes to 95. On a few occasions it hit 100-104 by just going to the bathroom. I also notice it spikes instantly when i drink water, eat or urinate. All while standing, if im sitting while doing these it doesnt go over 100bpm. Its just super scary and confusing as to what may be causing it. The anxiety behind it leaves you living your daily life in misery. Im seeing 2 doctors this week hopefully i can get some answers. Good luck to all!

Best Answer

I’m so happy I found you all talking about this.  Mine is doing the same thing and honestly it’s freaking me out! 

Best Answer

I feel the same way.  I took my Fitbit off today because I was so scared yesterday.  

Best Answer

I read that some peoples resting heart rates are as high as 100. Since I have my watches and I seem like my heart rate goes till I get so nervous which I think makes it worse. Today my heart rate is higher than most days when I am doing things. Like you it is going up to 100 or even 115 when I’m walking like into the mall and while I’m it’s 90 to 95. Then I get so nervous 

Best Answer

You could just be dehydrated. Your heart has to pump harder when there is less blood volume. This is why people with anemia typically have very high heart rates.. their blood volume decreases and the amount of oxygen in the blood decreases. Drink some coconut water and have a glass of water. If it still continues go see your doctor.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I recently changed my entire way of eating to lower my cholesterol without statins. After almost three months my numbers came down really well I’m off dairy, sugar, and red meat. Maybe I should have more bloodwork and check my iron levels.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer