Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not burning as many calories as usual?

ANSWERED

Hello there.

I guess I'm just paranoid and such, but I'm scared that when I grow older, I'm going to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. So I decided to take action and get into good habits now.

Every morning I wake up early to go for a bike ride, and the mornings I can't go out, I'm walking or running at least three miles. But, my rides are my main concern. I'm 16, 5"8, and weigh 130lbs. My bike rides, when I started taking them this summer, burned about 250-300 calories, for 30 minutes, depending on the day. Now, consistently, even this morning, I barely burned 180 for the same route, same 30 minutes. I didn't feel like I worked any less than usual. Last week I was still hovering around 260 calories.

I will admit that I'm sore, and that Im immensly tired, but I've taken Advil and had some caffeine before I go for my rides, and I feel fine. This is so frustrating because, since I'm not burning enough calories, I have to go out again to burn more. I have time I go out and exercise more, but when the school year starts, that'll make it harder to find such time to make up for a lack of calorie burn.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I stop taking bike rides and switch it out for something else? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Most likely you are burning fewer calories because you are pedaling more efficiently.

Pain and fatigue are warning signs to prevent permanent injuries. It's not a good idea to take painkillers unless the pain is interfering with your sleep. 

It is a good idea to be concerned about getting out of shape as you age. I'm 64 cannot do what I did in my twenties, but I can still remain active.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Most likely you are burning fewer calories because you are pedaling more efficiently.

Pain and fatigue are warning signs to prevent permanent injuries. It's not a good idea to take painkillers unless the pain is interfering with your sleep. 

It is a good idea to be concerned about getting out of shape as you age. I'm 64 cannot do what I did in my twenties, but I can still remain active.

Best Answer

Has your average heart rate dropped during your your ride now from when you started ? This is a sign your cardiovascular health is improving and it will show up in calories burned or it might mean something is wrong with your fitbit .

Less heart rate means less calories will be used.

Also using drugs or energy drinks might alter your heart rate and change your readings  i think.

Best Answer