Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OctoberFEST — Step Challenge and Photo Scavenger Hunt

I love October!  The heat of summer is mostly gone, and the icy cold of winter isn’t quite here yet.  It is a GREAT time to get outside and move around.  Plus at least two good festive events — German Beer/bratwurst/sauerkraut — Halloween!

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to encourage you to set and hit your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The theme this month is … seasonal changes (a tree or flower or storefront at the beginning of the month, and again at the end); Halloween decorations/costumes, trick or treaters; German OctoberFEST related. 

From a Fitbit photo challenge 4 years ago (5K in costume)From a Fitbit photo challenge 4 years ago (5K in costume)Vienna, Austria, Halloween 2014Vienna, Austria, Halloween 2014

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
197 REPLIES 197

Happy to join the OctoberFest step challenge & photo scavenger hunt!

Boring I am, same goals as the last several months, 20,000+ steps per day, 25 floors.  May do better on the photo challenge this month. We will be off for two weeks at different horse camps. October is a beautiful time to ride in the Ozarks.

Best Answer

Thanks for the invitation @Baltoscot. Let me mull over my goals for October. I’ll be back!

Best Answer

October Fest Day 1

Steps: Goal 10,000: 0/31

Boxing 30 days: 0/31

Bike 3 times 30 days: 0/31

Weights DVD 18 days: 0/17

Stomach YouTube 30 days : 0/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 30 days: 0/31

Leg Exercises 30 days: 0/31

250 Steps per hour 30 days: 0/31

Log food daily 30 days: 0/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos 3: 0/3

Wendy | CA

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@benvegi  I'm boring to!  Cant wait to see the photos!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Is that really you @Baltoscott  you have a beard that I have never seen before

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Oh dear, that sounds a difficult Scavenger Hunt! Rural Australia is not big on 'foreign' special

Days like Octoberfest or Halloween, and our seasonal changes from start of spring to end is not anything like your season changes in the US or Europe.  I'll try (as I always do!) 😂😂

My goals

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   -/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      -/12

6 days over 15,000 steps                                             -/6          

2 days over 20,000 steps                                               -/2

Swim 2x per week                                                           -/8              

Dance prac 4+ hours a week                                           -/20

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                      -/6              

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     -/3  

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@WendyB - Yep, that’s me.  I usually grow a beard from fall to spring.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@NellyG — Wait, What?  No Halloween?

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

OctoberFEST Goals:

Walking Distance: 1 mile 5 days a week: 0/20

Steps: 2500: 0/20

Distance Goal: 4 days of 1.5 miles: 0/4

Scavenger Hunt Photos: w` l0/3

Ab Roller every other day: 0/15

health has taken a bit of a downturn but hoping new treatments will help.  Meanwhile adjusted goals to be more manageable but also leave room for growth.

Many of you are ANIMALS! I’m in awe when I read your accomplishments!

Best Answer

We do Halloween here in Australia, but on a much smaller scale - nothing like the extent that the US does.  I don't remember ever seeing any window displays, although we do sell costumes and stuff in the department stores (at the same time as they're trying to get in early selling the Christmas stuff).  I've never seen an Oktoberfest display either.

Goals for the month (pretty similar to the last 6 or so, since I still haven't managed to successfully complete a month),

OctoberFEST

5,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  -/5.

10,000 steps on 20 days a month  -  -/20.

15,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  -/5.

2 x 30 to 60 minute walks per week  -  -/2, -/4.

Eat 1 piece of fruit per day  -  -/30.

10 wall pushups on 25 days a month  -  -/25.

7 hours sleep on 20 days a month  -  -/20.

Scavenger hunt photos.

Best Answer

Here are my OctoberFEST goals ...

15K steps/day  /31

10 pushup + shoulder extension /day

/31

15 weight-lifting days

/13

post 3 scavenger pics

/3

Sleep 6+ hours 16 days or more during the month

/16

3 pull-up + 1min bar-hang /day

/31

1 50 mile bike ride

/1

Think I may be getting to be too much like @benvegi.  No changes in goals this month -- though I'm playing with the idea of doing an organized 5K.  (My wife gets motivated by those because she can get her friends involved and it become a big social thing). 

@Bridgeport - you may not realize it, but you are an inspiration.  We all start from different places, but you cannot improve, or even maintain, without challenging yourself.  Set your own pace and keep at it.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Count me in! We're coming to into Spring so I have a better chance of getting sunrise pictures than changing leaves! 

Let me mullover my goals a bit and I'll launch into it tomorrow!

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  Halloween is kind of around a bit with the kids nowdays but until the last few years was nothing in Australia (and rural WA is behind the rest!) I think I have only had trick or treaters one year (when I lived in Perth - not down here) and I told them this was Australia and I didnt do Halloween! Does that make me a halloween denyer? 🤣 The media and stores try to make it something, but it is really a non event here.

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

OctoberFEST Goals 
8,000 steps: 10 days

10,000+ steps: 15 days
Exercises & weights: 25 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 3 pics

Also pretty boring = same-old same-old. 

As far as scavenger hunt challenge goes, can do the changing colors (begin- end-month shots), and German-related Octoberfest since our village here in Switzerland has already started advertising for local event. But Halloween might be limited to store decorations. No trick-or-treaters here. 😎🍁 🎃 

Best Answer

Ok here goes!

10k steps - 30 days

18/6 fasts - 30 days

15k+steps - 15 days

30 minutes HIIT - 30 days

Eat 500 calories only - 15 days

500 calories deficit - 20 days

Weight training - 15 days

Scavenger pics - 15 sunrises (does that count?)

Let's smash these goals!

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  Thank you for the link to October's!  I hate to say most of the store fronts around here will probably be Halloween in the beginning of the month and end up Christmas by the end!  I stopped in a Dollar General over the weekend and there was more Christmas related decorations than Halloween!  It's sad how Halloween gets passed over so easily.

I have a bit of renewed motivation with the end of this month, and so I'm hoping to be able to hit those goals (and maybe crush them?).

OctoberFEST Goals:

15.5K Steps/Day: --/31

2K(or less) Calorie Intake:  --/31

Yoga: --/5

Weights: --/10

Best Answer

OctoberFEST 1

5,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  -/5.

10,000 steps on 20 days a month  -  -/20.

15,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  1/5.

2 x 30 to 60 minute walks per week  -  1/2, -/4.

Eat 1 piece of fruit per day  -  1/30.

10 wall pushups on 25 days a month  -  1/25.

7 hours sleep on 20 days a month  -  1/20.

Scavenger hunt photos.

Best Answer

1 October

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   1/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      1/12

6 days over 15,000 steps                                             1/6          

2 days over 20,000 steps                                               -/2

Swim 2x per week                                                           1/8              

Dance prac 4+ hours a week                                         2/20

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                      -/6              

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3  1st pictures

20190930_141858_resized.jpg

20190930_194512_resized.jpg

20190930_142135_resized.jpg

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I've been gone a long time from the monthly challenges - but I'm BACK!

Definitely missed the Scavenger Hunts the most!

Here’s to OctoberFEST!

• Daily Step Goal: 6k
  • 10 Wall/Counter Push-Ups Daily
  • 30 min Gym workout 4 days out of the month
  • Increase water intake: @ least 40 oz daily
Shawn | Houston, TX
Eat Better. Move More. Be Healthy | Take care of your body - its the only place you have to live
Best Answer