Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office Job

What are some ways you get your steps in or more activity when working at a sedentary office job? I try to get up once every hour and just walk to get water and back, I have started taking my lunch and walking our parking lot but I feel I could be doing more....all advice welcome! 

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Hi @PrincessJasmine  it can seem harder to get steps in while working a desk job. Do you have to answer phones often? If so, you could stand up and walk about to get in the steps. It sounds like you're doing good with walking each hour and checking out the parking lot at lunch. At home, you might be able to do more. When I want more steps, I will take longer to put up the laundry or groceries, so I have to walk more. Sometimes you can dance around the house when you hear a song or there is a commercial that pops up on the radio or tv. The main thing is to keep moving and it sounds like you're already doing that. Whatever you do, keep on stepping!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Yes I have back to back work when in the office but it doesn't require me to get up often, I am trying to incorporate exercising before work at 7 am so far I have been able to keep up with a few days out of the week but I am striving for consistency!

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I worked in the office, I parked far away so I had a longer walk to/from my car.  I took the long route to the bathrooms or to refill my water bottle.  I also preferred to talk to someone face to face instead of via phone or instant messaging, so I'd walk to their office.  Also printing to a printer that's farther away (if possible).

I also bought a standing desk (not the actual desk but a large piece that goes on top of your existing desk and it can be raised or lowered) and that helped a lot!  I enjoyed standing and even did some steps in place while working.  I work from home now, but I use a standing desk at home too.

And of course, walking breaks around the parking lot helped a lot as well.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I'm in the same boat with you!  I try and get up to move every hour as well and, at the risk of looking like a crazy woman, I'll stand at my desk and walk in place until I get those 250 completed.  I also make sure I park across the lot from the office door so I'm forced to walk farther.  Those things are not enough to make my daily 10K goal, and I fall short many days, but try and get the bulk of my steps in with an evening 1.5 mile walk with the 8-year-old granddaughter and the dog.  Good luck!

Best Answer

thats awesome! and what a good idea to stand and march! I dont mind looking crazy haha 

sounds like you are putting in the work and thats what matters. 

Best Answer

@PrincessJasmine  so what if people look at you funny. In my family, they will just smile and say it looks like I'm fidgety, but they know when I point to my Fitbit. It's all about you and your goals. Maybe some of your office co-workers will want to join with you!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,  I work at a small office, it is a family business.  My boss/mother-in-law and I have been taking a water aerobics swim class together after work!  This summer we plan to take a body sculpting class too!  I am thinking about other ways to integrate fitness into my work day.  I want to start walking in the mornings before work, it will need to be by my home because there is heavy traffic by my office/smog.  How do I begin a walking routine??

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you work in a building with elevators, you could take the stairs instead of the elevator. By doing that you would working towards your step goals and; you would be getting some cardio benefits.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PrincessJasmine I feel your pain. my solution is to be active during my lunch because I can eat while sitting at my desk. If that is an option, you can get 30-60 active minutes on a pretty consistent basis. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi @PrincessJasmine 

I try to take the stairs instead of the elevator, pick up prints from the printer, walk during breaks/lunch, stand and move while on phone calls. I also purchased a little under desk exercise bike. 

Best Answer

Hey PrincessJasmine,

Have you tried walking meetings? I really like them when the weather's good. I find I'm more energised and creative when standing up and usually people are more focused on getting through the agenda.

I also have Teams calls where I do more listening than talking - I like to dial into those on my phone and go for a walk while they're happening.

I also really recommend taking a walk if you need to do some thinking/problem solving - again, I find myself more creative and I have a different perspective when stepping away from my desk.

I like these ideas because you get steps without forfeiting productivity. The modern office job is set up around the computer but it doesn't have to be the whole job!

Best Answer
0 Votes

At first I pretended to talk on the phone at work and walked around the office, then I started doing "office exercises", but I was very ashamed (I don't know why). Now I go for coffee to the boss and some other employees (I take water for myself) and do not use stairs and so on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I work in the office, I don't have the opportunity to move enough. That's why every evening I try to go for a walk and take at least 10,000 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started setting my Fitbit timer for one hour and then walk for 5 minutes. I can get a fair amount of steps in a workday. I also seem to be more productive when incorporating these short bursts of walking every hour.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can find plenty of quick routines online that you can do right at your desk. And don't forget the power of small habits, like parking your car a bit farther away to squeeze in some extra steps.

Best Answer

Hey ya'll! Same.  I'm able to walk in a makeshift circle in the back of our office. We've moved tables around and it's kind of like a track! We'll take turns going back and walking or if its slow we all go lol! That has REALLY helped me keep moving. Our insurance provider got us in on a challenge called Outbreak.  Now that really got us all moving. Stepping is for winners! 

Best Answer

I don't take my lunch break to eat. Instead I do 2 laps around the area of my office outside with two other co-workers. It's just leisurely so it takes about 25 minutes but I can get in like 3k steps. Plus any additional walking back and forth to classrooms.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to catch a train and and the subway when I commute to work.  This means I get some steps, and there are many stairs involved lol.

Sometimes, I skip the subway on the commute home and walk to the train station instead.  It’s a 25 minute brisk walk.

So there’s an idea - if you drive, is public transport an option?  Can you park far away when you drive?

I’ve also been doing laps around the neighborhood park in the evening when my kids play.  It adds up.

Good luck!  

Best Answer
0 Votes