Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One-handed push or exercise tracker?

I'm new to Fitbit, so bare with me.

I currently have a Flex. I have been taking walks every night, but I am always pushing a stroller. I've been trying to push it one handed or putting the Flex on my ankle for an accurate step count. (I do challenges with my friends and co-workers, so I'd like it to be accurate.) But I also run the gps tracker (on Fitbit or MyFitnessPal) so that it will count as an exercise (I'm trying to lose weight as well and my goal is 5 days). Is that double dipping? Does it double the steps?
Should I be doing this or should I just keep both hands on stroller and track the walk using the Fitbit exercise tracker.. will this count my steps too, without the arm movement? (I do not have a stride length inputted, because I have no clue.)

I hope this all makes sense... Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

You can put the tracker in your pocket. I do that when I go to the supermarket. Both my Surge and Charge 2 count steps just fine this way.

Best Answer

I took the boys for a walk last night and it seemed to capture my steps just fine, 2400ish in just under a mile (Charge2 with GPS on).  I tend to keep the stroller a bit in front of me so it's more of a push (2yo and a 5mo).  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

I took the boys for a walk last night and it seemed to capture my steps just fine, 2400ish in just under a mile (Charge2 with GPS on).  I tend to keep the stroller a bit in front of me so it's more of a push (2yo and a 5mo).  

My flex doesn't have built in GPS, so it does not count the steps, I've tested it. But, thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

You can put the tracker in your pocket. I do that when I go to the supermarket. Both my Surge and Charge 2 count steps just fine this way.

I normally don't have pockets as I tend to wear leggins when I walk.. but I will keep this in mind. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyway that lets you clip it should work. I've had the same issue, walk around for an hour in a grocery store and then realize I've been holding onto the cart the whole time and only got credit for 200 steps.. Aack!

Even a big safety pin on the inside of your leggings may work, just has to be big enough to hook through the band. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@smbills12 wrote:

@Mukluk4 wrote:

My flex doesn't have built in GPS, so it does not count the steps, I've tested it. But, thank you.

<Shrug>  I tend to not count stroller walking and grocery shopping as "activity" since they aren't really effort and don't cause a furious sweat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can anyone respond on the topic I mentioned of my concern of double dipping? I'd like to understand how this works too. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure on MFP, but with Fitbit if you are using the exercise mode it will not double dip.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

Not sure on MFP, but with Fitbit if you are using the exercise mode it will not double dip.

Excellent, thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes