Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online exercise program or going to the gym

ANSWERED

Now that the seasons are changing and it is getting colder outside, I was wondering would it be better to continuously work out at my local gym or sign up for an online program such as dailyburn.com and work out at home out of the cold? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@WavyDavey wrote:

@Mukluk4 wrote:

@Jusbri21 wrote:

Now that the seasons are changing and it is getting colder outside, I was wondering would it be better to continuously work out at my local gym or sign up for an online program such as dailyburn.com and work out at home out of the cold? 

Invest in the gym and a personal trainer (at least for a consultation) and discuss your goals and motivations and they can point you in the right direction.

Totally agree on the gym. But my experience with trainers is the direction they point to is more paid sessions with that trainer. 😂

Even paid sessions are worth the cost as they can show you exercises you may not have thought of or correct your form in things you think you are doing right.  I worked with one for 6 months before I felt I had the tools to do it on my own and did not regret that purchase.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@Jusbri21 wrote:

Hi @Jusbri21,

That's a good question, the answer could go either way.

Working out at home is very convenient, and saves on commute time to and from the gym. It looks like the site you mentioned is a little cheaper than most gyms. There are two downsides to exercising at home. One is the lack of equipment. The other is it can be more difficult to stay motivated and easier to get distracted at home.

The gym has the advantage of all the equipment right there. It also provides a place to dedicate to working out, and less distractions or interruptions. The disadvantages are the cost, and "gymtimidation" (discomfort workout out with others).

I prefer the gym, as it allows me to focus more on the workout. I've also met some cool people at the gym, which wouldn't have happened at home. That club with all the purple and yellow is only $10/month, as well as some local clubs here. It's not a very intimidating environment, and is cheaper than dailyburn.com.

If you feel motivated exercising at home, go for it. I just do better in the gym. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@Jusbri21 wrote:

Unless you make a serious investment in equipment in your home, you'll have a tough time looking like any of those people pictured online...

Invest in the gym and a personal trainer (at least for a consultation) and discuss your goals and motivations and they can point you in the right direction.

Best Answer

That's entirely up to you. Working out at home can be free or very inexpensive; get yourself some basic equipment--dumbbells, a mat, resistance bands, maybe a kettlebell--find videos you like, and you're good to go. There are a lot of free videos online you can exercise to. The problem is that it's easy for you to get distracted, find an excuse not to work out, quit in the middle of a workout, etc. I know. I'll be exercising and decide that I just don't feel like going further.

If you go to the gym, well, it can be expensive, but that might be an incentive to use it. They'll have the equipment there that you probably can't afford or fit into your home. You can take classes or work with trainers who won't let you quit.

I belong to Class Pass, and that enables me to take several classes a month (I love this Reformer class at a local studio) and when I'm not doing that (and not going to a hockey game), I can exercise at home. I also make sure I get in a good walk as soon as I get up. There are tons of indoor walking videos you can do that will help you get your steps in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

@Jusbri21 wrote:

Totally agree on the gym. But my experience with trainers is the direction they point to is more paid sessions with that trainer. 😂

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I practice in the gym twice a week, when I have the opportunity, mostly I train at home. Every day I do exercises at home, sometimes I start a video course for 50 minutes of fitness or aerobics, sometimes I just do exercises from the application https://apkbird.com/en/com.ejercicioscaseros . Every morning I do yoga. Only by performing all these steps I can achieve a beautiful body.

Best Answer

It is all about trade offs. So I do both.  I’ve got a bench and a great nesting dumbbell set at home as well as a couple of nesting kettleballs, but space is limited in the house and I’m always moving something around to get at something else.  What is nice about the gym is the access to so much more space and equipment. For example, my weight lifting routines this year require access to a squat rack and barbells for bench press.  I can do the same moves at home with dumbbells, but I can go heavier at the gym because the different equipment allows me to get heavier weights into the starting position.

OTOH if I were someone who liked HIIT body weight type classes, and I had the room at home, something like daily burn might have a bit of an advantage over a class at the gym just because of the time you save in transportation. OTOH, if you ride bike or run to the gym you build your own heat to fight the cold and the transportation time is also exercise time.  OTOH, it is time to stop typing and go work out!  🚴 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@WavyDavey wrote:

@Mukluk4 wrote:

@Jusbri21 wrote:

Even paid sessions are worth the cost as they can show you exercises you may not have thought of or correct your form in things you think you are doing right.  I worked with one for 6 months before I felt I had the tools to do it on my own and did not regret that purchase.

Best Answer

I do both. I try to jog at least 4 times a week, and hit the gym to work on areas, the jogging doesn't hit. Or I go to the gym if I can't get out and jog. 

Best Answer
0 Votes