Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHR when sick

I'm sure this question has come up (?) but I'm new to the boards. My RHR is typically in the 55-60 range, and it's been over 70 for about a week as I've fought off a pretty nasty flu-like (but not flu) virus. The fever broke three days ago and I'm still hitting 80-100 at rest at times. Is it normal for your RHR to stay this high as it works through sickness? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I find that mine ticks up anytime I'm in recovery from sickness or an intense workout day.  I don't put much stock in the RHR other than an indicator that I'm overdoing it and need to take a rest day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any type of stress on your body may elevate your RHR. I see elevation from illness and also from extremely hot weather. However, if you continue to see a higher than normal RHR, you should contract your doctor. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

If your body is fighting an infection--and the cough, congestion, fever, runny nose are all symptoms of your body fighting an infection--it has to work harder than normal, so your heart rate will go up as a result.  Hopefully as you recover, it will start to come back down.

get well soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

when you get sick, your heart rate increases so that more infection fighting goodies in your blood can attack the target area. i did looking online a few days ago for the dame reason. my rhr increased 8bpm and i wasnt sure why. after infection is passed, rhr comes down again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is a link to the Sleep area where @bourby and I posted about RHR and in my case where medication affected me...

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, all

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NewGuy80I had a hip replacement over 2 years ago and my RHR went up to 74 and took 6 weeks to normalize and a further 6 weeks to get back to 55 bpm. Because I have a low RHR 51bpm  the doctors and nurses were concerned, When I'm asleep it can get down to 43... Fortunately I made them aware when I was having my pre-operative testing.

Our bodies are an amazing "fighting" mechanism, and when you think we have millions of micro organisms balancing and adjusting we are a dream machine....

@NewGuy80 wrote:

I'm sure this question has come up (?) but I'm new to the boards. My RHR is typically in the 55-60 range, and it's been over 70 for about a week as I've fought off a pretty nasty flu-like (but not flu) virus. The fever broke three days ago and I'm still hitting 80-100 at rest at times. Is it normal for your RHR to stay this high as it works through sickness? 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@NewGuy80 well I think you have your answers- so let me just say, I am glad you are feeling better and don't be a stranger in the community..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes