Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain when starting to jog

ANSWERED

Hey guys,

This year i've really got back into using my Fitbit, getting a lot of steps by walking

Now i'm feeling a bit healthier and fitter, i'd like to start jogging but everytime I begin to jog I get a sharp pain at the front of my legs.

It comes on about 20 - 30 seconds of jogging. I feel fit enough to job and it doesn't tire me, it's just this sudden pain really puts me off.

Anyone any advice? Maybe just me using cheap trainers?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When I first started running I did too.  Try the simplest fixes first.  

Make sure you have new running shoes, even if your usual "walk around on the weekend" shoes seem like they're in good shape.  The insides wear out and compact long before the outside starts looking bad.  And get a decent pair.  Running doesn't require a lot of equipment, but what you spend on shoes will still be less than copays in the future.

The other easy fix is to make sure your foot is hitting the ground properly.  Look up "pronation" and make sure you're hitting solidly, not on the outside and rolling in or vice versa.

When I worked on those two things, my pain went away immediately.  It's definitely worth a try, and two things you should be doing anyway.  You will need good running shoes, and it's a LOT easier to correct form (and ward off future injuries) when running is still new and the wrong way isn't a habit yet.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

When I first starting jogging (which I hadn't done in roughly 7 years until that point) I also got those pains. It could possibly be shin splints. In which case you don't want to push too hard as it may cause serious damage. I would use a heating pad every night after I got done with my excercise and alternate days. One day I would jog, the next I would walk, if I was feeling more sore after a night of jogging I'd give it 2 days of walking instead. A few weeks later I was running, yes running with no complications 🙂

I also switched to using memory foam sneakers and that gave me HUGE support!

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I first started running I did too.  Try the simplest fixes first.  

Make sure you have new running shoes, even if your usual "walk around on the weekend" shoes seem like they're in good shape.  The insides wear out and compact long before the outside starts looking bad.  And get a decent pair.  Running doesn't require a lot of equipment, but what you spend on shoes will still be less than copays in the future.

The other easy fix is to make sure your foot is hitting the ground properly.  Look up "pronation" and make sure you're hitting solidly, not on the outside and rolling in or vice versa.

When I worked on those two things, my pain went away immediately.  It's definitely worth a try, and two things you should be doing anyway.  You will need good running shoes, and it's a LOT easier to correct form (and ward off future injuries) when running is still new and the wrong way isn't a habit yet.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the shin splints, however it is supprising that this hasn't been picked up before.

I had very bad shin splints when I first started distance running 18 years ago. I needed orthotics in my shoes and have had them ever since. Unfortunately a good pair of running shoes is also required.

Although you mention that it is your shins, maybe a few light calf stretches may help a little. I often find with my body that a pain somewhere is often caused by problem somwhere else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

agree with everything noted and want to reinforce stretching before your run. There are stretches you can do specific to the front of your leg that you should consider before running. shoes and stretch. if you start to hurt stop and apply heat. I also find running on a treadmill is a softer landing- maybe consider that if its an option. hope it improves- keep us posted!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Agreee with @Raviv Shoes are so important. Please get fitted

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes