Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak heart rate during run

Recently, I've had a few runs where I've been in my peak heart rate & felt awful. I run daily, not a lot 1.5m- 3miles. I've been exercising regularly for over 2 years now. Should I be concerned that I'm suddenly in my peak zone for so long & feeling awful? I'm not sure what the change has been, but my resting heart rate is fairly low so hitting my peak level feels awful to me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Your peak HR is going to get lower the older you get. Over the course of two years it's possible your peak isn't what it used to be. Or maybe there's a health problem developing. See a doctor for that. For peak HR, the 220 - age is a generic One-Size-Fits-All approach that's not the most reliable. To get your true max HR you'll need to have it clinically measured.

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure I understand the original post. You feel bad that you're in peak zone, or you feel bad while in the peak zone?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel bad, like sick, while my heart rate is in the peak zone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get well into the peak zone during HIIT training, and it's not unusual to feel sensations like burning in the chest or just feeling bad. Once I felt the urge to puke.

I would recommend you start doing your runs in interval fashion. Like run for 3 minutes, then walk for 3 minutes, and repeat. If that's too easy just lower the time spent walking. This will allow you to recover from the peak zone rate while walking. Then you can start running again and get back into the peak zone for a while.

You'll have to experiment a little to find the right ratio of run-to-walk to get you some minutes in the peak zone, but not continuous peak zone time. Hope that helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@Littlemsvaughn,

You probably have some bug you aren't aware of. Maybe you have accumulated fatigue. I'd recommend taking a few days off from running and see what happens.

It helps to post a picture of the heart rate chart when you ask this sort of question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would take a day off as Gershon suggested. aside from the punishing you are giving your feet and knees, you are likely exhausted. do nothing or do a short walk- but don't run. you also might be breathing off. I know when I can't catch my breath right during a run, I get the puke sensation and a bit spinny. I focus on breathing and not running. I count my breath and force it to slow down. It usually puts me right again. sometimes, I just stop for a few seconds, drink, look around, make sure I am not going to literally puke and after 30 seconds or so carry on. If I feel like that a second time, I switch to walking and chalk it up to my body knowing what's good for me.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer