Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post oper rt total hip replacement and my recovery using my Surge

I have had a Fitbit for several years and have found it very motivational.   But 4th of July weekend 2015 I realized there was something going on with my health.  At 11PM I was getting ready for bed but just didn’t feel right.   I checked my Fitbit Surge and notice my heart rate was racing then dropping , then racing again.  Told my husband something was wrong.  We went to our local emergency room and I was having a heart attach.  I had a typical female heart attach, no chest pain.  Because I listened to my body and my Fitbit I had no heart damage and was discharged home in 2 days.  

Now my new journey is I needed a total hip replacement.  On January 3rd I had surgery and since that day I have used my Fitbit to increase my activity by 250 steps a day.  3 weeks post open I have been discharged from Physical Therapy because I’m at the point most patients are at month 3.  I have lost 10% of my body fat.  3 weeks post oper I have no pain.  I have found the best health tool I have to keep me moving at 73 years old.  My goal to ride my Cattrike by Spring from Connecticut to Massachusetts.

Best Answer
58 REPLIES 58
My hip replacement was not only the best medical decision I made but it also was the easiest surgery and recovery. Check with your doctor if he/she uses a physical therapy app. I found this was my best motivation while recovering. It’s been 10 months and I still do my exercises on the app called Force. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks ! Going to try to do all my PT exercises and get stronger in preparation for the surgery. I think the hardest thing is the decision to do it now versus waiting and knowing I'll still be in pain a year from now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m 10 months post oper and I have no hip pain, I also can put my socks and shoes on without using sock aids and tubes.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I will check that app out - Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I worry about post op flexibility because I want to be able to do the things I used to be able to do. At 49, I am worried that I may lose some of that with a hip replacement. But I guess no pain is a good start ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am able to do everything that I did before regarding flexibility.  Before my hip op, I couldn't run for the last 5 years  due to pain and restriction, I had been doing half marathons so my world felt like it had 'ended' when I couldn't run and I got very depressed. Now, I count my blessings EVERY DAY and am SO grateful that surgery helped me.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh that is so encouraging  ! I have been feeling quite low just realizing the limitations I have been under for just one year. Good to know it doesn't have to be like that afterwards and that you can actually do what you used to ! Thank you for sharing that because I have been thinking I would be quite restricted afterwards. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No probs, seriously though,  if I can get through it, you DEFINITELY  can, I have such a fear of all things hospital/surgery etc. Once you have that date for surgery, just be extremelypositive and keep looking at the date the otherside of surgery and imagine yourself doing all those things you want to do.  That's definitely what helped my surgery and my recovery.  There IS LIFE AFTER HIP REPLACEMENT! !!!Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much !! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottishWalkerYou won't know yourself.. and the beautiful thing I found... no resulting pain from the op and no pain killers.

We will all be thinking of you and don't hesitate to keep in touch..

With all of the pre-op tests I had to warn them of my low HR because when I'm asleep it can get down to 45 bpm.. The Surgeon didn't warn the hospital staff,  and the first period in the recovery area Smiley Happy all of the bells etc went off.

I was using the Surge then and when I was "with it", I showed them my results on Fitbit Dashboard.

I started off with elbow crutches, water walking and then walking..

My surgeon had me keep a check on my walking because my freedom from sciatic pain in my case was wonderful.. I have never had the sciatic pain since the op in July 2015. I put up with that for years, and we only found out when I had muscle wasting in my left thigh. A scan showed no cartilage and plenty of bone growth on the outside of the hip. That growth was natures way of preventing a dislocated hip.  Our bodies are amazing with compensation.  The sciatica was caused by the hip bone touching the sciatic nerve.

Water walking was the most beneficial for me and the surgeon was keen on our mobility but definitely warned me to take it easy.. He was concerned that his "Fitbit devotees" patients had too much aggression after the op.

The only annoying part now is I have to have my 4 x Antibiotics before my 6 monthly dental checkup because the teeth cleaning etc is too close to the blood supply. A small sacrifice for the massive gain.

Why did my cartilage wear out.?. That leg was longer than my other and over the years it was like a jack hammer..Smiley Happy I also have an extra rib and the theory is that the shorter leg's bone loss went there..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
You're welcome Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had my left hip done 1/31/18. No problem at all, never took pain meds. Drove in 2 weeks, gym in 3 wks. Much, much better. Had my knee replaced 9/6/18. More difficult, but took tramadol for a couple of weeks, but off of everything since then. More discomfort with knee,  but really just going up/down stairs. I was driving again about 2 weeks later (was careful about pain pills); back at gym in 3 wks, doing spin, weight training, etc. No pain, but discomfort doing lunges. I'm seeing my surgeon this week to discuss getting  my oth er knee done. I'm turning 71 next week. Dont want to be in pain any longer. Have you gotten cortisone shots? I've had them for yrs and they work. But I need to go on the next step. ( My dr calls cortisone shots wd40 shots!)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
Be brave!!! 🤨

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
Right now I’m going thru heart problems but next plan was to get my knee replacement re-evaluated. I don’t want it replaced but would consider cortisone shots. My hip is great. No pain

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
No worries. Other than no jumping running or pounding exercise the
anterior method allows you to resume all other exercise without limitation
Best Answer
0 Votes
Pre-exercise is extremely important.  You must have upper body strength,  as well as strong quads and hamstrings.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android1
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did one cortisone shot and it was great! But wore off after 1 month so doc said can only do 2 a year. So then I did a PRP injection. That didn't make much difference either and expensive. Figured, cut my losses and do the surgery so I can continue my life the way I want to. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks ! The encouragement here is helping me realize I am doing the right thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks ! The encouragement here is helping me realize I am doing the right thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes