Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable step goal

Just started my Fitbit today.I am 61 yo female in good health. What is a reasonable amt of daily steps I should aim for? I've done over 7k today- but it is my day off. Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @CelesteH,

The American Heart Association recommends the following:

"Use a pedometer to count how many steps you take each day. Some health and fitness experts recommend increasing your daily step count by 1,000 steps each week until you reach 10,000 steps a day."

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@CelesteH As @WavyDavey mentioned the American Heart Association recommends 10,000 steps a day, but how active of a person are you?  

I would suggest walking for a week or two how you normally do and see what your average is.  Round that # up and make it your goal.  

My mother (she's 66 years) does about 8,000 on her off days and 12,000 on her active days, so she keeps her goal at 10,000.  She's not a very active person, but tries to walk around the neighborhood as much as she can.  

Best Answer

Your only competition is yourself. Maybe track for a few days to get a benchmark of what you'd no normally, then set your goal for 1000 steps more and build up.

Allie
Best Answer
Thank you for the response it was helpful! I’m trying to figure how I can walk more at work

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
Thank you - that’s a great idea!

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

A good goal would be 6,000-8,500 steps a day based off of the heart and stroke walk about. This was found here.

Versa, Charge HR
Best Answer
0 Votes

Aim for 15K but get at least 10K.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To add more steps at work:

Walk to the person you need to talk to instead of email

Get up every hour and walk around for 5 minutes.

If you have floors, go up a flight to go to bathroom and get water.

Walk around the building at lunch or breaks

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I have my goal set at 11000. Hopefully I can go up as time goes by.

Fitbit Flex - Fitbit Charge - Fitbit Blaze - Fitbit Versa

Whats Worth The Prize Is Always Worth The Fight!
Best Answer
0 Votes