Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart Rate increased on holiday

Hi everyone,

My resting heart rate, which is usually around 59-60 bpm, gradually increased to 75 bpm when I went from the UK to southern Europe on holiday.

I was only there for a week and I kept my exercise routine, which is mainly walking 10 km a day (easy enough to do on holiday).

After I came back to the UK my heart rate slowly went back to 58 bpm.

The only explanation I can give is the temperature, which was about 10°C higher on holiday... But is that enough to justify more than 15 additional bpm?

Also, if that was the case I would have expected my hr to go up or down quite suddenly. Instead, it took about 6 days to reach the peak and 10 days to go back to normal.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

A resting heart rate will gradually increase during a bulk, especially if you have recently been in a decifit as your body doesn't have to be as efficient as you are in a decifit. The effects of the heat rate increase will depend on your fitness and the level of bulking you are currently going through. (dirty bulk or a higher calorie surplus will increase the rhr more). 🙂 

Best Answer

It sounds like "holiday heart".... Increased HR due to alcohol. Some alcohols are worse than others for some people, where others may not be affected at all by it. Wheat beers get mine elevated. Red wine sets some folks off

Best Answer
The problem is I don't drink alcohol. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Me I have that is why I have just read all these comments - I’m on holiday and let’s me be honest I feel like I’ve lost weight but the heat is making me sweat a lot which I don’t in the UK or hardly ever and I’ve had a rum or two and I don’t usually drink so that seems to explain it all - 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't believe it's a weather effect.  I recently went on a holiday from Australia to Germany and UK (about same temperature as Melbourne in September) and Norway (about 10C cooler).  My resting heart rate, according to my Fitbit, went from 39/40 to 45/46 over a few days from the day I left.  It maintained 45/46 for the whole trip, including Norway and when I returned it took about 5 days come back down.  Weird!?

Also my resting heart rate does not change over a year in Melbourne whether it's 15C or 40C.

All theories/explanations welcome!

Best Answer
0 Votes
For me, lack of sleep through travelling seems to upset my resting heart rate more than any alcohol consumption and it takes up to 5 days to settle back down. I noticed this every time I do an overnighter driving between Germany and the UK.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I just returned from vacation In Mexico, and my rhr also climbed steadily during my 12 day stay. It’s usually around 59/60 bpm and it climbed all the way to 75 bpm by the end of my stay. Now back home for only a day and it’s reversing slowly back to what it was before I left. The temperature difference from where I live was around 28 degrees Celsius, which I think was the main reason. I’d be willing to bet you’re rhe will return to normal in short order.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PcdCorp, it's an interesting phenomenon and I'm glad it's not just me!

As stated in my post for me I'm certain it wasn't a temperature effect.  You don't say where you live but does it ever get up to the temperatures you experienced in Mexico?  If so it will be interesting to observe your rhr then.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Jogger,

I live in Kelowna BC. Summer temperatures here are anywhere from around 25 Celsius to 35 Celsius, but I only got my Fitbit this Christmas so can’t compare yet. My rhr is down to 63 bpm as I right this less than 24 hours after returning home. I would say other factors for me would also be less sleep and some dehydration during my trip. Also probably had a little more wine than usual as well. I think the combination of the above is likely the reason for my fluctuations ...
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Exactly the same happens to me every time I take a holiday which is 4-5 times a year. I’m not worried about it just curious! Don’t drink any extra sleep well take plenty of exercise . It goes from 61/62 to 75/76 but as soon as I get home drop aBPM DAILY TILL BACK TO 61/62.

Best Answer