Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate too high?

I'm new to fitbit and had gotten mine on 1/15/17. I will say I am overweight but I feel like my resting BPM is EXTREMELY High. It started at 77 and now it progessivly getting higher. It says my resting heart rate is now 81. Ever since i woke up this morning 1/18/17; everytime I look at my BPM I am in the Fat burning zone in a range of 99-110. I feel like this is very inacurate. Although last night I had gone to the gym for an hour and that did increase my heart rate. Ever since me just sitting down or driving my heart rate is between 99-110. Is this something I should be talking to my doctor about or do you think it's just being inaccurate? I tried finding the solution to this problem on these fourms but every one I see is between 50-60. Although the chart only has the resting heart rate and not what it is now. Is there a way to reset this? I'm attaching yesterdays and todays. unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

If you have an appointment scheduled with your doctor, @Shanlin, you should discuss this at that time. But, it is not so high that you need to be overly concerned about it (worrying and fretting will increase it and your blood pressure). Your Resting Heart Rate is a "calculated" number based on several factors & times of day, and is a good indication of your fitness level. The more fit you are, the lower you heart rate will be - that is why you see a lot of Community members with RHR in the 50's or lower.  The HR chart you posted below is your 5-minute averages throughout the day, not a snapshot reading. Work on daily exercises, even if just getting out and walking, and you will see your RHR dropping.

Best Answer

@Shanlin If you haven't already, I would make sure you follow the guides of how to wear the Fitbit. Make sure it's above the wrist a bit and making sure it's not too lose. From my experience that really does make a difference. Has it gotten better since you posted this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also found that my HR was quite high when I first got my Fitbit with HR, but after a few days I think it had enough data to create my actual HR, which is about 83bpm resting. I am not super fit, and am overweight, but I do walk every day & am increasing my physical activity after not working out for a few months. Also, be aware that certain medications & anxiety will raise your HR. 

If you do make an appointment to see your doctor, maybe they can do an ECG or something to see what that monitors your HR as.

Best Answer

@Shanlin wrote:

my resting BPM is EXTREMELY High. It started at 77 and now it progessivly getting higher. It says my resting heart rate is now 81.ting heart rate and not what it is now. Is there a way to reset this?

@Shanlin: I wouldn’t worry about your RHR having increased from 77 to 81: it is normal for it to fluctuate a little on a daily basis, within 5-10 bpm. You should follow it over a longer period of time: if you’re doing the right things (lowering your weight, increasing your physical activity, reducing stress, sleeping better etc.), you should see it getting lower over time. Like fluctuating between 60 and 70, instead of 75 and 85. This is not going to happen overnight (just like you didn’t reach your current weight overnight), so you need to be patient. You should also see your HR during physical activity getting lower (for the same intensity) as you become fitter: for instance, if your HR is currently 130 when walking briskly, it may be 110 (when walking at the same speed) after a few months of regular exercise. So consider your current HR (at rest and during activity) as a baseline/starting point and try to make it lower over time. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

A healthy heart typically has a resting heart rate between 60-100.

Best Answer

Sounds like your resting heart rate is within what would be expected to be typical (60 to 80bpm) for most people.

Continue exercising for a few weeks and see if there is any impact.

I got my charge 2 at the beginning of the year and my RHR started at 64, fell to 59 and now sits at 62.

However, if you are concerned you should talk to a medical professional for professional advice.

Hope your fitbit journey goes well and continues for many months and years to come.

Best Answer

Lower resting heart rates come with fitness and the ability to breath and be mindful.

If your keen to lower your resting heart rate, give yourself some time and with dedication to fitness, health and deep meaningful breaths. Stress is probably the biggest reason for high resting heart rates.

Being happy also reduces resting heart rates 🙂

Best Answer

Sure, scare the person who admits to being overweight into going to the doctor. Everyone and their mother are having problems with highly inaccurate HR readings from their Fitbit, but her's must be accurate, right?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner  I don't think anyone here is trying to scare OP, but reassure her that we're all different and that any medical concerns should be taken to a doctor and not to the internet.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having the same issue. I have the original Charge HR. It worked great for the past year or so, then has become completely inaccurate over time. Currently, my tracker does not display the correct time or date. Like you, it is also reading a much higher HR, at rest, than my blood pressure monitor. I am always in the "Fat Burn Zone". I have not had the chance to reset my device, though, have found that when I turned my tracker around so that the LED lights are reading from the inside of my wrist, my readings are now much closer to that of my BP monitor. 

Sure, you should pay attention to what other posters on here are telling you, but fear not, it could be something as simple as the way you're wearing your device, or the LED's/contacts may not be totally clean. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you pregnant?

Best Answer

Have you taken your pulse manually to ensure it is in sync with what your Fitbit is telling you? Take your carotid pulse (one in your back) whilst watching the HR monitor on your wrist. if it beats in time you know Fitbit is correct (if you’re then worried see your doctor) . If not then you know you have a faulty Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem for a while what I did was I put my fitbit not right at my wrist up and I sat down for a minute measured my heart rate with the fingers on my neck after I found out what it was I used the fit bit gave almost the same result. I guess you have to wait one minute still before you can read them both accurate or leave the fit bit not right at your wrist because it is giving a low reading now. I know sometimes it gives mine high in the 70s and 80s now its saying its in the mid high 60s seated down with it up for a while not at my wrist. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is quite possible that the Fitbit is inaccurate. I would be interested in knowing how testing heart rate is calculated. What factors are taken into account?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are factors such as age and weight/height taken into account when calculating resting heart rate? Or is resting heart rate some sort of average taken of readings when there is little movement?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has never been in the blue field like yours. It's always in the 80s and 90s when I'm asleep and 90-120 during the day. It made me uncomfortable so I went to my doctor. I actually found out I have an issue I need to address .not life threatening, but a good thing to have found out abota .If you're worried, it never hurts to check, especially when it's your heart 🙂

Best Answer

The first step is to make insure your fitbit is tracking correctly.   Put you fingers around your throat to feel your jugular veins.  Then court the number of beats for 15 seconds.   Multiply that by 4 to get the total heart rate.  Do this a few times to get a good average.  Compare this to your fitbit

As others have pointed out your resting heart rate can depend on many factors ie time of day, last meal, emotional situations, age, weight and what not.  A healthy heart will return to the resting heart rate faster than an unhealthy heart. 

Don't stress on the number.  Its the tend that is important.

glen

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Grinchy the carotid pulse is not located on the back; it's located on the side of the neck/jawline area.

Fitbit moderators: None of you jumped in here to correct this major information? We need to be more vigilant as to help others reading who might not know. 

Best Answer

@AD1971 wrote:

Fitbit moderators: None of you jumped in here to correct this major information? We need to be more vigilant as to help others reading who might not know. 

@AD1971 : Fitbit moderators are not meant to act as fact checkers. However, you can flag a post for their attention if you feel this is warranted (typically because that post is in violation of the Community guidelines).

Everyone should understand all posts here express the opinions of their authors, are not endorsed by Fitbit and do not replace medical advice provided by health professionals.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes