Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runners fatigue

I'm a new runner. I'm really struggling with extreme fatigue. I am wondering how to best combat this? I obviously need more fuel before and after my runs. How long does it take to overcome this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @ktsetz85 Welcome to the forum. How often are you running? Are you giving yourself rest/recovery days? Making sure you have time to recover is really key to building stamina and avoiding fatigue. Nutrition and sleep also have important roles to play. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ktsetz85 Yes, lots of sleep and fuel.  Bananas and oatmeal are great fuel for running.  When I'm training, I prioritize sleep.  So it might mean I don't get to stay up late to watch a movie with my husband because I have to sleep to recover or get up early to run.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

you may be going to far or too fast for where you are in your running maturity. I know the days I push past common sense, I am exhausted for two hours after. Aside from food and rest you have to make sure you hydrate after you are done. your body needs it more than ever. You may also want to do some form of interval running on some days instead of steady state. give your self a break between sprints. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @ktsetz85, lots of help for you here!  And answering some of the questions certainly could clarify so that you can get the best advice.

However,  “extreme” fatigue really should not really be a side effect of running, even if you are pushing yourself pretty hard.  Do you mean “extreme” fatigue just after running? During your running session? or all the time?  How long have you felt this way?  How do your muscles feel after a session?  How do they feel 24 hours later?

If you are overdoing it a bit, muscle soreness, or muscle heaviness are perfectly normal and can be a sign that you need to give your body a rest, and time to recover.  Part of what builds muscle is a (small) breakdown of muscle tissue, and then repair.

However if what you are feeling is really “extreme fatigue”, that is sustained over time, that suggests it could be some other cause.  

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes