Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running and Ankle injuries

Healthysean:  you didn't mention why you needed ankle surgery, was it ligament or tendon issues?  Boxing and tennis both put extreme stress on the ligaments and tendons that support the ankle, while running does not.  In my over 25 years of running I've never encountered another runner who needed surgery for their ankles.  Running does not put undo stresses on ligaments or tendon that support the ankle, because most runners run in a straight line.  As for running itself, the alternating compression and distraction actually improves the health of the hyaline cartilage in the synovial joints.  Maybe you and your Dr. should look for other reasons you needed your surgeries.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@Corney wrote:

Healthysean:  you didn't mention why you needed ankle surgery, was it ligament or tendon issues?  Boxing and tennis both put extreme stress on the ligaments and tendons that support the ankle, while running does not.  In my over 25 years of running I've never encountered another runner who needed surgery for their ankles.  Running does not put undo stresses on ligaments or tendon that support the ankle, because most runners run in a straight line.  As for running itself, the alternating compression and distraction actually improves the health of the hyaline cartilage in the synovial joints.  Maybe you and your Dr. should look for other reasons you needed your surgeries.

Then there are those of us who've managed to severely damage both ankles from non-running activities, and yet we are able to run.  In my case I broke one ankle in 1974 and the other in 2003 (which also included partially tearing off the foot); the surgeon told me I'd never be able to run again and I would walk with a limp for the rest of my life.  Yeah, about that.  In all fairness, it did take me over six years to be able to start running again without getting injured, but since then I've managed to run nearly 8,000 miles.

Best Answer

@shipo - we need a trigger warning before you describe that injury.  Yikes.

Best Answer