Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming very slowly

So I've been mainly using fit bit app for logging food. I've got back into swimming as despite being an inefficient form of exercise for weight control its the main activity which I enjoy enough to keep going.

I go about 1-2 times a week.I seem to be improving in terms of fitness, I'm less tired out after and my muscles hurt less however I am awfully slow. Apparently most people can do a mile in 30 minutes when it takes me about 90mins. I don't like my face in the water so its mainly doggy paddle but am I really that slow in comparison to everyone else?

I'm 24, and 143lbs at 5ft 3.5 inches.

Also in general anyone got any suggestions for exercise on the cheap as I can't afford fees to swim more regularly. I don't like running, I like walking long distance, cycling and yoga as well.

Apologies for the long post.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Dog paddling isn't going to give you speed so just keep moving and enjoy it.  It is one of the few sports that some lessons can really improve technique quickly, but the goal of swimming is to swim efficiently and quickly.  By paddling you are being inefficient so it might be good to just keep on doing what you're doing. Yolur body has to work harder than if you had a stroke technique down.

Best Answer

@Gwenni hello and welcome to the community- long posts are very welcome and yours was hardly long. I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to anyone else unless you decide to take up swimming competitively. What's the point? And honestly who cares? If you like it, you feel good doing it and you feel good after doing it- keep doing it! why worry about the others when you have a smile on your face before during and after. As for the other things you mentioned- you can always find youtube videos for yoga or download free apps that will help you find your zen. As far as walking goes- its how it all started with fitbit so go get stepping 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer