Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running vs cycling calories

Which activity burns more calories in the same time span if the same heart rate?
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

this is not scientific data - this is just me- nothing burns calories for me like running. but I think you would just have to do an experiment and compare. For me, nothing gets my heart rate higher than running.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

As with most simple questions, there is no simple answer.   From my own experience, it doesn't feel as if I really burn as many calories cycling as other cardio workouts. I've cycled for exercise for years now, so I think my body is very efficient at the task.  In comparison, I don't hike as much as I used to (or should).  If I go on regular hikes I tend to loose weight.  Even though it appears, from my heart rate monitor, that I've burned less calories hiking than I do cycling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im with @emili, running for me gets my heart rate up and burns far more calories.

"Act like a lady...Lift like a BOSS"
Best Answer
0 Votes

In an old Runner's World they said cycling 4 miles is equal to one mile of running, but that does not take into consideration where you are cycling, how fast and over what type of terrain

Best Answer
0 Votes

One thing you should factor in (regardless of calories) is the burden on your joints (knees), which is going to be a lot lighter with cycling vs. running. This would be especially the case if you’re heavy/overweight and/or older.

The other thing with cardio activities (whether it’s running, cycling, rowing or something else) is that HIIT-style cardio is going to burn more within the same time span than steady-state cardio.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes