Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running

Why is it that people shame runners so much! I lost a tremendous amount of weight not from running but from healthy eating and walking. I have really ugly hearted people who like to shame me for running every single day. That running IS ONLY for weight loss. I want to hear everyone's opinions on what running helps with. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

Hello @jennNjuice288

What a terrible thing to do to someone who is making positive changes in their life. Maybe it's that they are jealous that you've made a commitment to losing weight and being more healthy. Its easier to pick on your for making changes than to admit that they need to make similar changes in their lives.

I'm not a runner myself, but know people who run. Family members tell me it helps to clear their heads and settle down after a hard day, it's a form of relaxing, helps to focus,  it's "me time" and it's a good way to listen to the music and feel the beat. There are so many positive reasons to run.

Walking fast, I might do. Running might not be my thing, but there is no reason to shame anyone who wants to run and who isn't harming anything by rushing past me.

Jenn, you just keep doing what you're doing and keep that great attitude. One day, those people might be asking you for advice!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

People are mean. I learned that long ago. And while running isn't for me, if you enjoy it and it makes you feel good and improves your health, great.

Everyone has his/her own fitness path, and as long as it helps you meet your goals, there's no right or wrong way to go about it.

Best Answer

Thank you both for such kind hearted responses. Both are very true. 

Best Answer

@jennNjuice288,

I'm a 65-year old male runner. Many of the current myths about running go back to the 50's and beyond. There are many more myths about women. I guess my opinion about shaming is anyone who acts outside of tribal norms will be shamed. 

You asked about benefits. Most runners who stay with it for decades do so for reasons other than health. Mostly, they describe similar mental states, but who can tell if they are really the same?

The health benefits are hard to find. I eat a whole food plant-based diet. The main people whose work I pay attention to are Nathan Pritikin, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Cooper, Dr. Campbell, Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Ornish. At some point in their careers, they all advocated exercise in conjunction with diet to live a healthy and long life. Later, they all minimized the effect of exercise in order to focus on diet. Or as one of them put it, "to focus on the bigger problem," which is health and weight control.

If you want to read about the possible benefits, I recommend this book:

Lifelong Running: Overcome the 11 Myths About Running and Live a Healthier LifeAug 29, 2013
by Ruth E Heidrich and Martin Rowe

Ruth is in her 80's and still running marathons. Not too long ago, she completed an Iron Man Triathlon. 

Back in 1982, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, lung cancer and bone cancer. She also had signs of heart disease. She cured them all with a combination of running and diet. Every day, she completes a mini-triathlon.

I cured my "incurable" neuroendocrine cancer with a combination of a strict whole food plant-based diet and exercise.

Keep running as much as you like and don't worry about what others think or say. I'll only give two general bits of advice.

1. If a joint or your feet start to hurt even a little bit, take three days off so it doesn't become chronic.

2. The faster you run in your youth, the less you will be able to run from your 60's to 90's and beyond. Choose whichever option you like. 

Best Answer

Hi @jennNjuice288 - That's just sad... I run for overall health and because I actually enjoy it! Running alone is definitely not going to cause weight loss... As you said, that comes from smart and healthy eating choices! Keep doing what you're doing and be the better person!

Best Answer

My first thought to this was, "people shame runners?!"  But way back when I started running, I did actually have to make new friends and distance myself from some of the naysayers.  To heck with everyone- what you do for yourself is what counts, not what they think.  Choose to be the best you you can be!

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

@jennNjuice288,

I'll only give two general bits of advice.

1. If a joint or your feet start to hurt even a little bit, take three days off so it doesn't become chronic.

2. The faster you run in your youth, the less you will be able to run from your 60's to 90's and beyond. Choose whichever option you like. 

Just curious- why is that?  Not sure about this!  Where I live, the fastest and most competitive 5k age groups are the 45+ and 50+ ranges!

Best Answer

Finally:  running is good exercise, and exercise is a vital component to a healthy lifestyle.  And I choose a healthy lifestyle as my goal.  If anyone criticizes me, that is what I say to them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ericws wrote:

@GershonSurge wrote:

@jennNjuice288,

I'll only give two general bits of advice.

Just curious- why is that?  Not sure about this!  Where I live, the fastest and most competitive 5k age groups are the 45+ and 50+ ranges!

@Ericws,

That bit of advice came from Jeff Galloway in his book "Running until you're 100." I think he would consider the 40's and 50's young. He has been personally coaching runners using the Run-Walk-Run method since the 70's. I'm guessing that statement came from experience.

You can learn more about him here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

If you want to be competitive, he probably isn't your coach. If you are more of a recreational runner, he is perfect. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am very familiar with Jeff Galloway- I use his run/walk method a lot (although I have not figured out how to do this with my Ionic yet).  

I don't see the logic if he said that though- you can be fast young and fast old.  Not mutually exclusive!

Best Answer

PS-  I am very much a recreational runner!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ericws wrote:

I am very familiar with Jeff Galloway- I use his run/walk method a lot (although I have not figured out how to do this with my Ionic yet).  

I don't see the logic if he said that though- you can be fast young and fast old.  Not mutually exclusive!

I think Jeff meant it as a general rule. He often says you are the captain of your running ship. Keep in mind each of us will have a different perception of Jeff's advice based upon our past experiences, personal goals, and physical ability.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a super slow Galloway fan I just want to keep moving as well as possible as long as possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

well @jennNjuice288 here is what my experience has been.. you have runners and not runners and neither side agrees with the other. it is the way of the world around every topic you can think of. Brown rice or white, cat people or dog people, beach or mountains.. this is the same. I run on the weekend because for me it is the fastest way to get rid of the weekend.. I enjoy adult beverages and salt... I can't say I love running, but I appreciate what it does for me and I appreciate my body for letting me do it. I am faster because of running, my cardio score for an older female is really good, I have strong legs and I have improved overall stamina. it isn't to say that I don't like other forms of activity as well. I love to lift weights and walk and jump rope (although I have to say, not well). My non running friends and family make fun of me and my running friends and family give me high fives. I take all of it with a grain of salt and let my fitness and my size do the talking for me. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili - We’ll said. 

Best Answer

Thank you @Ozzie65 👍

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I was one of those people that hated running until I learned how to run.  Running is calming, when I'm stressed or just mentally exhausted simply lacing up my runners starts to make me feel better.  I stopped for a while due to health issues and injuries and finally getting back to it and that same feeling comes right back when I grab my shoes.

Best Answer

@Nita78 - yes!

Best Answer

As a general rule when people are criticizing others or "shaming", it's really not about you...it's about them. DO NOT take their comments personally, just know that they have things that are bothering them and that they need to grow from. They are really just exposing what's in their own hearts...maybe they feel badly about themselves, or they are scared, or want to get healthy and don't know how...but it's almost never about you...

Running is one of my favorite form of exercise. I also love to climb mountains. I really enjoy having a strong body and both of these activities give me a sense of strength. I love feeling the accomplishment of doing a long or tough run, or getting to the summit of a tough climb...for me personally having a strong body is one of my goals, and running helps me to achieve that.

Keep doing whatever you need to live the life you want 🙂

Best Answer