Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoliosis

ANSWERED

I have really let myself go weight wise. I received a Fitbit as a gift and want to download a excercise app but I need one that won’t be to much for my back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

well we could all help each other if you all agree as tips for all of us could help as scoliosis is a pain 😞

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

i have scoliosis also, i always was recommended swimming and found this easy on back also,  

Best Answer

I have had scoliosis since a teenager. I am 48 now. I still have my Herrington Rod fused to my spine. I have had two children and have struggled with my weight for years. Looking for motivation, I currently have to depend on myself.

Best Answer

well we could all help each other if you all agree as tips for all of us could help as scoliosis is a pain 😞

Best Answer
I think the key is exercising daily, when you can. The more idle a body is,
the more pain creeps up.
Best Answer

Hey everyone- welcome to the newest members of the community! I did a search and it appears that numerous sources call out stretching and supported core training as the go to exercises. Here is one of the links that I thought had good information to share https://www.treatingscoliosis.com/blog/8-scoliosis-workout-exercises-can-try-home/  The items listed are not very expensive and most gyms have them if your prefer going there instead of exercising at home. They are of course not step based activities, but that shouldn't be the priority- my opinion for what its worth.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

i so agree, i exercise as much as possible, within my own limits, and helps my pain so much, i get pain if i dont move a lot and find it uncomfortable   

Best Answer

ah i had a look and it says page not found 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was looking at your steps... I could never catch up with you. How to you get yours in, running?

Best Answer

I was very excited about the link you posted but, when I clicked on it, it said page not found

Best Answer

I have scoliosis too and have been fused. I don't know of a particular workout to recommend, but I have found using an elliptical machine is far less jarring on my back (and hip) than walking on pavement or the treadmill. I had found a yoga tape several years ago that was designed for people with back, hip and knee issues and I still use a lot of the stretches that I learned from that. It was called Yoga for Aches and Pains, I believe. Staying as active as I can does make a difference in my mobility and my pain levels.

Best Answer

I have Scoliosis as well, since birth. I had a spinal fusion when I was five. I'm 26 now, I can't do even half of the exercises. Let me know if you find any tips to help, and I shall do the same. 🙂 Also, all of you, feel free to add me as a friend,  Scoliosis Buddies! 

Best Answer
Thank you so much for your post it really is a big help

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Breauna, are you able to walk without pain? All I really do is walk and occasionally break into a jog. I will work on my core that feels comfortable and keep in mind to take it easy or I will pay dearly. 

Best Answer

Each case is very different with the degree of curvature. I have not tried yoga, but I use a leash like leg pull to pull my stretches sometimes and it feels good. Oh my, the older I get the harder it gets to put my socks on in the morning.lol

Best Answer

That fitbit is going to be your best friend because it will go with you everywhere. I just have the Zip and i have gone to the gym and forgotten it and was so mad I wouldn't walk because my steps wouldn't be counted. lol 

You can do it. I let my self go and This is my second week of 5 or 6 miles a day. well except for today, it was a rest day. I have seen results and I'm am just walking mostly.

Best Answer

Honestly, I can't really do anything without pain, because I'm always in some form of it.  I can walk for a little bit and it's bearable, then I have to rest. I haven't managed to make to 20,000 steps in a day. But I will get there. I almost have it. Walking is pretty much the only thing I can do, running/jogging causes my Asthma to flare up. Thank you for asking. 

Best Answer

I have very mild scoliosis, but by the time I was diagnosed (at age 14), the doctor said that because of the mild nature (I was just below the threshhold for treatment) and that I was almost done growing, there was no point in any intervention. I'm lucky I don't have much pain, but I certainly am awkward. 

Anyway, I take Pilates Reformer classes at a local studio. It's done largely on your back or side, and a good instructor should be able to help you work within the limits of your condition. 

Best Answer

I've done some research into schroth physiotherapy here's a link to one of the articles I read https://scoliosiscarecenters.com/schroth-physiotherapy/ but I was wondering if anyone had a positive experience with non-surgical treatment. From what I understand Surgery is only necessary in extreme cases but I might be wrong and if anyone has more information I would appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes