Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Advice For Proper Short/Long Distance Running Shoes

* My question to all of you, what are your favorite running shoe(s)?

Hello, 

I run about 3-6 miles a day. I would love to be running more!

I was running with the Nike Pegasus 35 with Superfeet Insoles D, recommended by FleetFeet. I would trade off between two pair but found at the 2-3 mile mark my knees start to swell stiff. That happens whether running outdoors or on the treds.

I was gifted a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam Running Shoes, adding in my insoles, theseallow me to run a little bit further due to the coushioning. There must be a more comfortable bouncy thicker soled shoe. 

Thank you for your suggestions!

Lacy

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

The best advice would probably be to go to a proper running shoe store to get a foot analysis.  They'll look at your gait and stride and find 3 or 4 pairs that will fit your needs.  

Lots of runners I know are into Brooks and ASCICS shoes.  And it's generally best practice to retire a shoe after 300-500 miles.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Thank you for the reply. I will go get re-fit at FleetFeet and check out this two brands!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You might also consider the Hoka One One (brand) Bondi 6 (model) - generally regarded as one of the best max cushioning shoes out there. If not familiar with Hoka One One, see an overview in  Runner's World. You might also want to consider knee strengthening weight training (e.g., half squats and leg extensions, low weights, lots of reps).. Might also consider changing running technique from heel strike to midfoot strike - read about it here. Outdoors - stay off hard paved surfaces if possible. On the tread, increase incline to 4 - 6%, much lower impact than when level/flat  and the 'hill' work will strengthen the knees.

Best Answer

Alright, today I went into FleetFeet Store and was refitted and tried on several pairs of shoes. I ended up purchasing the Hoka One One Bondi 6 with my SuperFeet insoles. I am going to give this a try and see how these work and purchase another if they run smoother!

Best Answer

@LacyG, Sure hope they give you some relief & extend your comfort distance.  :smileyhappy

(Let us know - I'm sure there are others out there with similar concerns)

Best Answer