Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a Personal Trainer

The last six months I've been working with a personal trainer but in the last week I've been disappointed.

1. I don't think I've lost weight or maybe it is fluctuating. I do weigh myself once a week at the same time each weigh in. The personal trainer had me working a lot of cardio every week, then alternating, and now just weights. 

2. I use a online scheduler and will select the personal trainer's name; only to be stuck with another personal trainer. I do understand that they work long hours but why hadn't the personal trainer updated the information online?

I've got another 3 months to lose weight and just so frusturated about weight loss and not being able to work with the particular trainer.

How do you select the right personal trainer?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello!

My best advice for you would be this--

1. It seems like you have a good goal: you want to lose weight in three months. I'm sure you have a good idea of how much you want to lose and where you currently are. If your trainer doesn't ask you about your goals, then find someone else. You absolutely have to adjust a training regimen depending on how much time you have. It seems like you have a little bit of a lack of consistency in your workouts, which is most likely the trainer trying to adjust for a lack of results.
  2. I'm not really sure about your situation, like whether you're training at a specific gym or with a specific company of trainers, but if you're just selecting a trainer on a calendar, that trainer might not have any control over whether they'll actually be able to work with you on that particular day. Just a thought. 
  3. If you've been working for six months and you're not seeing ANY results at all, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. It's very easy to blame your trainer when you're not losing weight. Are you eating an appropriate amount of whole foods? Do you do any additional exercise outside of training at the gym? Have you been to see a doctor, either before or during your workout regimen? Are you putting 100% effort into your workouts? Have you taken measurements or progress pictures of yourself? Sometimes you might not see a drop in the scale because you've added muscle and lost fat.
  4. If all else fails, and you feel that you're doing everything you can to lose the weight and you're still frustrated with the trainer you're currently with, switch trainers. That's absolutely within your right. See if you can get your money back. Do your research, and get a trainer who has expertise in something you're interested in (if you want some stress relief, go with a guy who specializes in kickboxing workouts... something like that). Make sure that trainer is paying attention to your wants and needs, because you're the one who's paying him. If you feel miserable and frustrated about your workouts, it's just going to be that much more grueling to lose the weight. Find someone you enjoy who creates enjoyable workouts and go from there.
Best Answer
You also have to weigh in how much money you are willing to pay for a personal trainer versus a program such as Fitstar.

If I was into a local personal trainer, I'd have to pay $36,500 a year to have an every day trainer. $100 an hour. 365 days.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am seeing results. I first gained muscle. Then I lost roughly 8-10 lbs, but it has now plateaued. We talked briefly about diet. But I think this personal trainer would rather have me work with another personal trainer within the business; I'm just a bit upset. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also it has more to do woth what you eat than exercise. What is your diet like?

Try to get in lots of fruits and veggies. Some protein with lean meats, dairy and some fats even. A well balanced food plan.

Drink lots of water as well

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
A nutritionist would be better experienced than a personal trainer. Just be sure to find the right kind and non expensive one. Avoid them advertised ones for real unless you have $600 a month for PersonaDoctors to have shots and advice and then some.
Best Answer
0 Votes