Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle a debate.

ANSWERED

I say because I lumber around at work walking papers from one room to another at work, I don't need to do any other forms of physical movement. As long as I get 10,000 steps in once or twice a week I am fine. My boyfriend says my body is going to hell, and when not at work he calls me sedentary. I always complain about not having energy so I am trying to walk around even less at work.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I always thought that step counts were a bogus measure.   I really only pay attention to zone-minutes because they equate to the measure as defined in the CDC Physical Activity Guidelines,  (google it. It's worth a look.)

The guidelines are aimed at extending your life.  Walking around would only count if it raised your heart rate in the "Fat Burning Zone."  Weight control might take more.  FitBit can help you keep track.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @DanielleHall 

Click on this link to see the CDC's recommendation for: How much physical activity do adults need? (<-- click link)

Summary: 150 minutes of Moderate Intensity activity or 75 minutes of Intense Activity or a combination of the 2 plus 2 or more days of muscle strengthening activities per week

If you look at the Active Zone Minutes weekly goal in the Fitbit app, you'll see it is set at 150. This aligns with the CDC recommendation.

If you are getting at least 150 Active Zone Minutes a week, you are technically meeting the recommendation.

BTW, according to articles I've read, you actually get a boost of energy when you do workouts on a regular basis. I have found this to be true for me. There are days when I don't feel like I have the energy to do my workout and have to push myself to do it. After I'm done, I have a great boost of energy and endorphins.

I'm not sure this is enough to settle the debate with your boyfriend. But to be honest, it's more important to do what is in your best interest, especially health-wise.

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

Walking eventually is not enough. You'll get to the point when increasing number of steps without increasing intensity does nothing. In terms of entire body, walking doesn't address full mobility, all muscles, etc. Walking is enough to start with when you are not doing even that, but later, as you adjust to it, the overall effect reduces. I wouldn't say "your body is going to hell" but I'd side here with your boyfriend. If I reverted to 10k steps, my fitness and overall shape would faceplanted. This is because doing even 30k steps is hardly an exercise. Mind that it's not about steps only. It's what you do and how. Quality is more beneficial than quantity (well.. most times, in most usual cases). But it doesn't mean that you have to do it and listen to anybody. Do what you need and how you need. It's nobody's business 🤷

Best Answer

I always thought that step counts were a bogus measure.   I really only pay attention to zone-minutes because they equate to the measure as defined in the CDC Physical Activity Guidelines,  (google it. It's worth a look.)

The guidelines are aimed at extending your life.  Walking around would only count if it raised your heart rate in the "Fat Burning Zone."  Weight control might take more.  FitBit can help you keep track.

Best Answer
0 Votes