Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoes for walking/running on snow

I recently purchased a pair of Salomon Speedcross 4 shoes. Paid €69.90 (discounted), significantly less than the list price displayed on their US site ($130). Although the Salomon promotional video touts them for use on rocky trails and in summer, I bought them specifically for use on packed snow and ice (in winter, obviously). This is because of their treads:

salomon1.jpg

We had an early episode of snow a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to test them: they were great, incredible grip. No problem with keeping my feet warm, even though they are not designed for winter use: I think the lowest temperature I went out with them was about -10°C (14°F). OTOH, I have good blood circulation and my feet seldom get cold.

Now all the snow has melted (we should get it back next week, this time for good) and I have been able to test them on muddy terrain such as this:

salomon2.jpgAlso great grip. However, the top of the shoes isn’t waterproof, so when walking on paths with high grass or vegetation after rain such as this:

salomon3.jpg

they do get wet from the top. All in all, I’m a happy camper so far and I look forward to testing them further, once we finally get into real winter.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

They look really good. Glad I dont have snow to walk in though. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Smiley Tongue

I grew up in snow and now hate it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is another option without going for new shoes.  I use ice cleats for the traction on snow. All I have to do is slide this on my regular running shoes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I keep a pair of yaktrax in my running bag all winter long. Up in northern New Hampshire its hard to tell what the conditions will be like from day to day. I have used these on snow and ice covered trails as well as on and off road and sidewalks. They are light and dont change my stride to much and feel very secure as my foot strikes the ground.

Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Running-Small

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shane172 wrote:

I keep a pair of yaktrax in my running bag all winter long. Up in northern New Hampshire its hard to tell what the conditions will be like from day to day. I have used these on snow and ice covered trails as well as on and off road and sidewalks. They are light and dont change my stride to much and feel very secure as my foot strikes the ground.

Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Running-Small

Yup, my wife and I both have a set of Yaktrax as well as a set of running snowshoes.

http://dionsnowshoes.com

SnowshoeDale.png

Just strap them on to your running shoes and away you go!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

These are great suggestions.  I hope to do a lot of hiking this winter and know about cleats but those Salomon's look great.  I also heard that Teva used to carry a hiking boot that was totally slip proof but I haven't seen it online.  I'll contact the person who had it.

I do need some shoes to wear on wet rock and other slippery conditions.  Any suggestions for that?  Even need sneakers/running shoes that won't slip on wet smooth conditions.  Thanks.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
0 Votes

If anyone here does a lot of walking or hiking, I am hoping to get out a lot this winter and find the shoes I have are way too slippery, even on smooth wet surfaces.  I sometimes am on rock, ice, or even smooth wet boards.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bobbinyc: Salomon has two other models similar to the one I mentioned, both with spikes. One is the Spikecross CS 3 and the other one is the Snowcross.

I happen to have the latter. As Salomon doesn’t show the full layout of the bottom of the shoes, here is what it looks like:

Salomon Snowcross.jpg

There are five spikes in the front and four in the back.

Here is an example of a totally icy dirt road I’ve been using them on:

icy_road.jpg

Grip was excellent, same with smooth rock (dry, wet or icy). They are not as comfortable as the   Speedcross 4, especially when running.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  I didn't know the spikes would be ok on rock or smooth wood that's wet.  Some of the trails in state parks use boards, especially over watery areas, and they get incredibly slippery.  I also like waterfalls and climbing around the rocks near one is slippery in any season.  I assumed the spikes wouldn't work.  I guess I was imagining the cleats, that would dig up wood or just not work on rock.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bobbinyc: I was surprised myself to see how good the spikes were on smooth wet rock, even inclined rock. What I don’t know (yet) is how tough rock is on the spikes. Time will tell.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been a few months.  How are those shoes workin' out for you? 

Here in my part of the world, our roads are pretty icy with about 3 foot of snow on everything else, I get along with drilling a 3/8" #6 sheetmetal screw into the raised-tread portion of my running shoe.  It does well, some may come loose by spring then I just bump it up to a 3/8" #8.  Take 'em out when the ice is gone, and next year, if I have the same shoes, I use #8 screws in the same holes -- sometimes I can't tell were the old screw was, so I just sink 'em in anyway.  If you have air soles, you need to stay on the outside edges of the shoe -- maybe about 1/2" or so, (making sure it is still on your sole) from the edge.  They do quite well on ice and such surfaces.  Careful though on smooth concrete (like in your garage) or other real hard, smooth surfaces.  You'll need to step gingerly there, as the screws might cause you to slip a little.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AmericanCitizen wrote:

It's been a few months.  How are those shoes workin' out for you? 

@AmericanCitizen: sorry for the late reply. Roads and paths have been very icy this winter so far and I’ve been using mostly the SnowCross (the ones with spikes), not the SpeedCross. They’ve been very good and have saved my bacon several times. I also like the fact they don’t get easily wet on top, because of the extra protection layer on top of the actual shoe.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes