Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yoga for stretching sore muscles between full body workouts?

Current Exercise Regiment:

Monday and Wednesday: 1 hour-Step aerobics, total body strength training, followed by a core workout, done in an interval format.

Friday: 45 minutes-High-intensity, full-body interval or circuit workout that targets the major muscle groups of the upper and lower body.

Monday-Friday: 45 minute-Dog walk through the woods over uneven terrain. Not sure how fast I’m going, but my average bpm is 117 with peaks up to 170 bpm.

Saturday and Sunday: 90 minute-Dog walk same terrain as Monday-Friday walks, just different route. Again not sure how fast I’m going, but my average bpm is 117 with peaks up to 170 bpm.

Also very soon (sometime next month) I will begin walking the dogs with a backpacking backpack on with weight starting at 25 pounds and working up to 60 pounds. I’d never carry 60 pounds on the trail, but I like to train with 60 pounds so that when I’m out on the trail my body is used to carrying more weight than it is.

I have been doing the dog walks for several years, the step classes for 3 years and the Friday class for about 2 months now. I am currently a 28 year old 5’2” Female weighing 190ish pounds.

I am wondering if it would be wise to add gentle yoga stretching into my current workout schedule on my days “off” Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday? Something like 5 sets of Sun Salutations, nothing intense, just enough to warm up the muscles that I don’t get to with the dog walks. I completely understand the importance of “Rest Days” but I feel very restless on those days as if I’m not doing anything to reach my goal. In a nutshell I feel like I’m being lazy, and would like the opportunity to gently work and stretch my sore muscles on my days off.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Why not simply give it a try? If your goal is to have a rest day, then maybe focus more on your breath and be mindful about how your body feels in that moment instead of going for "I have to do 5 sets of Sun Salutations". Go easy and slow and it will help your mind to shift from doing to not-doing too. Might be an idea to look for routines for relaxation.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Stretching is really important and good for your body. It doesn't have to be yoga, you can do 20 minutes of just stretching every part of you including your toes. I think that would be excellent.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think yoga is perfectly acceptable on rest days, as it's generally pretty low intensity. 

I would recommend the Yoga With Adrienne series on YouTube as a great jumping off point. 

Charge 2 | Favourite exercises include weights, running from zombies and dungeon delving | Does cardio so that she can drink altogether too much craft beer
Best Answer