Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stationery Bike

Hi

I'm in the process of researching to buy a stationery bike as I am not confident cycling on the road and I unfortunately have trouble with my Achilles' tendons if I run. 

I've noticed that there is no way to track stationery cycling on my Fitbit (Charge 2) and would therefore like to make this a request. 

At the moment I believe I can use my linked MapMyFitness app which does have the relevant tracking, but to have it directly on the Fitbit would be so much better. 

Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

@SunsetRunner,

Although Surge is in my name, I've been using a Charge 2 since December.

I'd use the workout mode and focus on calories burned instead of steps. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I've noticed that there is no way to track stationery cycling on my Fitbit (Charge 2) and would therefore like to make this a request.  

I agree with @GershonSurge that the generic workout activity would be adequate for tracking any non-step-based cardio activity, including stationary cycling. Charge 2 does support "bike" as one exercise type: the main "added value" of using it (when cycling on the road) is for getting the distance right (with GPS); it still doesn’t address the issue that cycling is not a step-based activity. GPS cannot be used for stationary cycling, since it’s usually indoors, and even if you were doing it outdoors, there’d be no change in location by definition. For that reason, "workout" is just as good as would be a dedicated activity. Note that activities recorded as "workouts" can be renamed to anything you like (if you want to clearly identify them as what they really are).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can confirm that using GPS with a stationary bike is worthless. It will just create a large doodle on your map (and I guess screw up your stats).

However, I looked around and found that Charge 2 has multisport with pre-existing workouts from your tracker.
I have a Blaze, which is slightly different, but I'd urge you to see if you can locate 'exercise shortcuts' under your tracker settings. I found a pre-set there called 'spinning' and I've been using it for a week now on my stationary bike and it's been great.

@DominiqueI really need to try and dub an activity 'workout' now. I had no idea you could rename them. That's just what I've been looking for!

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using charge 2 and i swing the arms with sync to stationary bike pedaling.  It records decent steps.  I can get about 100/min steps.

Best Answer

@ThatGreen wrote:

@DominiqueI really need to try and dub an activity 'workout' now. I had no idea you could rename them. That's just what I've been looking for!

@ThatGreen: if you go to the activity list in your Dashboard, you should see a little pen icon for "workout" activities. This will let you rename them. You can also do it in the mobile app (the interface may be slightly different, depending on the platform).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@skylineg35 wrote:

I am using charge 2 and i swing the arms with sync to stationary bike pedaling.  It records decent steps.  I can get about 100/min steps.

This means you’re not holding the handles. It’s probably fine if the resistance level is low, but if you increase it, it would be quite difficult. There would be a trade off between getting steps or getting a good cardio workout.

OTOH, there’s the elliptical: a bike-like activity that lets you swing your arms while holding onto something (and thus allowing higher resistance).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not know why none of my messages have posted. I have posted this 3 times. If it does not work this time, I will not bother again.

I found an extender for my Blaze which is also available for most FitBit devices. This longer band allows you to use your device as an anklet. That way you do not have to move you arms at all and you get accurate steps on a stationary bike. 

I hope this posts. I will not post again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks - I've found the spinning shortcut and I think that will work fine. Just need the bike to arrive now 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you get 100/min steps with the method you use?.  Some of us want to get decent steps count for step score for challenges.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was good resistance on bike and was holding the bar, but bar has soft foam on it.  If charge 2 looking for vibration, then i will try different technics soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreenGPS will never work inside. So of course it isn't accurate. GPS was never intended for indoors.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes