Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counter and beat saber.

ANSWERED

So I have started playing beat saber which is a really fun game. I have no doubt I do take a lot of steps as you do side step, bend(or squat) move to the side and have your arms moving like crazy.

I noticed it counts after as, "aerobics" I'm wondering if the step count is accurate or if I'm cheating myself. I know there has been a number of topics on dancing which is similar, but I've never really seen it resolved as to whether it's over counting or if it is fair game because of how active you are whole your arms are moving all over the place.. any ideas ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Snarkingjay,

Thanks for posting, I'd never heard of that game before, so I learned something today. 🙂

The steps that Fitbit counts are based on arm motion, and how that compares to natural arm motions of walking and running. There's no real way to gauge step accuracy with an activity like Beat Saber, because the arm motions aren't exactly what they'd be with walking. So it may over-count, or under-count. Same with things like dancing or even hair-dressing.

You didn't mention which model of Fitbit you have, but if it has heart rate monitoring, I find that is a better thing to look at to measure levels of exertion. Because it's measuring heart rate (and calories burned from that), it will give a clearer picture of how hard your body is working during the game. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @Snarkingjay,

Thanks for posting, I'd never heard of that game before, so I learned something today. 🙂

The steps that Fitbit counts are based on arm motion, and how that compares to natural arm motions of walking and running. There's no real way to gauge step accuracy with an activity like Beat Saber, because the arm motions aren't exactly what they'd be with walking. So it may over-count, or under-count. Same with things like dancing or even hair-dressing.

You didn't mention which model of Fitbit you have, but if it has heart rate monitoring, I find that is a better thing to look at to measure levels of exertion. Because it's measuring heart rate (and calories burned from that), it will give a clearer picture of how hard your body is working during the game. Hope this helps.

Dave | California

Best Answer

The Ionic does track heart motion. It counted it as an, "aerobic exercise" which is part of why I got curious as to how accurate it might be. 

I guess there is no sense sweating it if 2 hours of walking would give me 8k 2 hours of this gives me 8k and my heart rate is similar either way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Snarkingjay wrote:

I guess there is no sense sweating it if 2 hours of walking would give me 8k 2 hours of this gives me 8k and my heart rate is similar either way.

Exactly correct. The steps may be different, but the heart is getting a workout regardless.

Dave | California

Best Answer

Anything involving VR with hand controls--the Oculus Rift's Touch controller or the HTC Vive's wands--will cause extra steps to be counted. 

It's not really cheating, though, because most VR games count as at least light aerobics.

If you want to step up your game, though, there are some VR games which provide some seriously intense cardio workouts. Thrill of the Fight and Soundboxing provide some of the hardest workouts, but you can find other games. Beat Saber will definitely get you moving, but it's best on the higher difficulty levels.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get it on Expert.  I nearly passed out after a couple of goes

Best Answer

Hello, what VR games do you recommend for cardio?

Best Answer
0 Votes

BEAT Saber is excellent if you work on a high enough level to keep your heart level up.  And it's fun!   I would imagine Tennis would be good too.

Best Answer

Fitbit records my Beatsaber VR game play as swimming. I wish fitbit had a VR option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My beatsaber vr play records as swimming on my fitbit. I wish I could change it,  or have a vr option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Jules3m 

You might want to consider manually starting & stopping your Beat Saber sessions as "Workout".  I believe you should be able to edit the name of the completed activity in the Fitbit app. There was a bug that prevented us from renaming completed workouts. It's currently partially fixed and should work if you use "Workout".

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I'll try that
Best Answer