Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step tracking vs. exercise logging

ANSWERED

If I log walking as an exercise, does it adjust calories burned for the walk as well as the steps counted or does your fitbit know that it has given you credit for the walk so it should not give you credit the steps tracked?

I hope that makes sense.

It just seems like it is double counting regular tracked steps with the exercise "walk" or "run", etc.

Thanks.  Any thoughts or clarification is appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @debbgrif,

While logging an exercise, the same steps that are counted in the exercise mode log, show up in the daily step count also. It doesn't double-count them. In the log you're seeing the part of the daily step count/calories burned that occurred during the time of the exercise logging. If you take a walk and log it, or just let the Fitbit count it without logging, the step count will be the same at the end of the day.

Basically, either way works fine.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @debbgrif,

While logging an exercise, the same steps that are counted in the exercise mode log, show up in the daily step count also. It doesn't double-count them. In the log you're seeing the part of the daily step count/calories burned that occurred during the time of the exercise logging. If you take a walk and log it, or just let the Fitbit count it without logging, the step count will be the same at the end of the day.

Basically, either way works fine.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I'll add to this since you said log walking as an exercise - as in manually logging the workout after the fact.

That creates a Workout Record, and the stats in it (distance or pace and time, calculated steps from your stride length setting, calories calculated or manually entered) will replace whatever Fitbit saw and estimated for that chunk of time.

Fitbit is a replace-only type system - last entered is what is in the daily stats and replaces whatever came before. Hence the need to get the times correct.

If the walk was 2 pm and Fitbit had stats for an hour, and you manually logged at 2 am accidentally - yep almost doubled-up info.

If what you are viewing though is an Activity Record, created when you started the workout and stopped when it ended - that is merely a snapshot of the Fitbit stats for that chunk of time. That snapshot is exactly like a picture, it stays even if the scene changes. (sleep record is this too)

Like if you did create a Workout Record and changed the stats for the day in that chunk of time, the Activity Record still shows what Fitbit had. Which has now been replaced.

But it contains the HR info, original step and distance data, ect. Useful for review later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Okay. I’m wondering if the calorie burn number changes if u label the exercise for a particular time period after the fact. I realize the step, HR info remains the same. 

Best Answer
0 Votes