Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having stiffness after 4 weeks

Hi, I'm new to the fitbit forums. I've been using a fitbit charge 2 for about 6 weeks and have been walking briskly 1-1.5 miles 4-6 times a week for the last 4 weeks, usually on the treadmill with a slight incline in intervals. Prior to this, I haven't exercised for about 10 years and have lived a fairly inactive lifestyle during that time. I tried to start with aerobic classes first, but found i was having trouble keeping up--which I expected to some degree due to just starting again and being overweight (5-7 and about 212lbs). So, I thought it might be best if I just tried to lose some of the weight, about 15-20 lbs before returning to these classes by low-moderate cardio (walking) and calorie reduction to about 1500 calories per day. I've only lost 3 lbs so far but I feel like an 80-year old, even after 4 weeks. I wouldn't describe it as sore, but I feel stiff and inflexible (basically no different than before I started exercising again). For example, when I am playing with my 4 year-old on the floor, getting of the floor is a major feat. My question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I should be or could be doing? I'm 39 years old and I feel a lot older. I thought I would feel better, less stiff and healthier but I don't; however I do seem to have a bit more energy and my endurance is seems to be slowly increasing.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Don't be discouraged. It can take time to see results.  Losing 3 pounds is a lot better than losing more and gaining it back.  If you're not doing any, you might try adding some stretching.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heather985Congrats on the 3 pounds! It may feel like slow progress, but progress, any progress is great. Be kind to yourself and remember you didn't get to this place overnight, It took years and it will take time to refresh yourself. Something I found very helpful when I started my journey to a healthier lifestyle was to better understand how food affected how I feel. Are you sensitive to dairy or grain, or certain veggies. Yes, even veggies can cause internal inflammation that manifests itself in your joints causing pain. I was luck enough to find a local program to help me sort all these things out and teach me also about the importance of sleep. Nutrition, sleep, movement. Dr. Mark did wonders for me and my husband and I believe he offers class virtually (http://dmarkhealth.com/). I suffer from joint pain and know now grain and other low quaintly food contribute to the issue. Perhaps he can help you find a balance. First and foremost, you should feel proud of what you have accomplished and excited that you have made a commitment to improve your wellness. Wishing you much success on your journey. Be well!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heather985 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the fitbit forums. I've been using a fitbit charge 2 for about 6 weeks and have been walking briskly 1-1.5 miles 4-6 times a week for the last 4 weeks, usually on the treadmill with a slight incline in intervals. Prior to this, I haven't exercised for about 10 years and have lived a fairly inactive lifestyle during that time. I tried to start with aerobic classes first, but found i was having trouble keeping up--which I expected to some degree due to just starting again and being overweight (5-7 and about 212lbs). So, I thought it might be best if I just tried to lose some of the weight, about 15-20 lbs before returning to these classes by low-moderate cardio (walking) and calorie reduction to about 1500 calories per day. I've only lost 3 lbs so far but I feel like an 80-year old, even after 4 weeks. I wouldn't describe it as sore, but I feel stiff and inflexible (basically no different than before I started exercising again). For example, when I am playing with my 4 year-old on the floor, getting of the floor is a major feat. My question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I should be or could be doing? I'm 39 years old and I feel a lot older. I thought I would feel better, less stiff and healthier but I don't; however I do seem to have a bit more energy and my endurance is seems to be slowly increasing.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I think you are starving yourself which is why you feel old and your recovery sucks.  I'd up the calories with the right kinds of foods and go back to those classes and force yourself to be involved.  You won't ever get in 

the shape you want to be if you think you need to be in better shape to begin the activities that will get you in shape.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heather,

You are doing well. The general rule with aches and pains during exercise is to reduce the amount of exercise. Don't take any medication to mask the pains. Slow progress is perfect. You can start with 5 minutes on the treadmill and increase it by only 30 seconds a day. In a couple months, you will be at 30 minutes if you walk every day. In four months, you will be at an hour.

In all the research I've done, I learned your health starts to improve when you take the first steps in the right direction. I have not read anything that fast progress is better than slow progress. Fast progress can lead to injuries that will result in slow progress.

Best Answer

We sound like we are in similar situations. I'm also new to fitbit (got mine May 1) and trying to keep up with a 4 year-old.

Progress can seem slow but keep it up. If your energy and endurance are better you are on the right path. Try not to focus on the scale as much as how you feel. 

Best Answer

My two cents for what they are worth is that you are on the right track. You lost 3 lbs in 6 weeks, which is great that you got your body to lose weight. You notice an increase in energy and endurance, which mean you are getting healthier. You might want to take measurements to see how you are progressing as well.

Some things that can mask your weight loss progress are your monthly hormonal cycle, water retention from working out and/or getting some muscle mass.

As long as the scale keeps moving down you are doing the right thing. I suggest getting an account at https://trendweight.com. It is free and you can link it to your FitBit to have weight data transferred automatically. That way you can see the trend of your weight loss and it is easier to filter out any fluctuations.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for your reply and information. I will look into the link you mentioned.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, StevieK15.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks GershonSurge. The personal trainer I met with about a month ago said almost the exact same thing. I am doing about 45 min on the treadmill 4-6 x times a week and have found over the past 10 days or so, I am able to increase the incline interval. So, I feel like that is a positive. Thanks for you reply and encouragement.

Best Answer

Thank you MarciM. I have been reading more books on nutrition and in consultation with my doctor am on a 1500 diet. But, I will look into that website as I'm not sure if I am allergic to anything, but I suppose it's possible. And, I appreciate your reply and encouragement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnnyRowThanks for your helpful reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes