Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Fitbit to track exercise properly

So I've been using my Fitbit regularly to track steps and I assumed it counts steps when doing exercise but when I do it this way I don't get the days of exercise logged.  However, if I add exercise after I've worn my Fitbit all day it adds more steps - is this cheating or is this a more accurate way to use Fitbit.  Does it account for the steps but not the fact you are exercising when exercising if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Thea

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

What tracker do you use? Not all have automatic exercise tracking. You can also start tracking exercise before you start it and then end tracking it when you are done, instead of logging it afterwards.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have Fitbit Charge.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

What type of exercises are you doing?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Treadmill, bike, gymnastics, yoga

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @tkbhike! If you use SmartTrack, it will show in the calendar the days that you've done exercises. You just need to make sure to choose the minutes that you want them to start tracking, you can learn more about it by checking What should I know about SmartTrack exercise detection?

Just as you mentioned, if you're logging an activity when you already wore your tracker. It will show more steps or sometimes override it. You can log activities when you haven't worn your tracker so it can properly show information, learn more about it How do I track my exercise and activities with Fitbit?

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tkbhike wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

The Charge isn't going to capture Yoga and Gymnastics and may have a hard time with biking and the Treadmill (or be inconsistent).

Anything without an HR function will only track step based activities with any amount of accuracy (treadmill and such may be an issue if you hold on to the rails and not use a true running motion).  

If your activities are more non-step based, then you really should upgrade to an HR model or take the info with a grain of salt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How much would an upgrade to a Charge HR cost? Also, in the meantime to
track exercise such as treadmill, yoga etc should I add it manually or
press the button on the side to start recording exercise?

--
Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your advise @Mukluk4

Hey @tkbhike! Currently, Charge HR isn't being sold in the Fitbit Store. You may want to check the store in case you will buy another tracker. Regarding your question about tracking exercise, I would manually add it to your Dashboard so it can properly show the calories burned. 

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes