Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stomping STEPcember Challenge and Scavenger Hunt

ANSWERED

Stomping STEPcember Challenge and Scavenger Hunt

Anything Goes August is almost over and it is time to start a new step challenge.  So here comes the STOMPING STEPCEMBER Step Challenge and Scavenger Hunt.  Yes, STOMPING because just like kids going back to school, we know it sucks that summer is over (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway), and that it sometimes helps to express your feelings with a stomp or two.

General monthly instructions are below, but we are also continuing the practice started last month of a picture scavenger hunt:  

Take your phone or other camera on your walks and look for, snap, and post three pics or more of the following: 

1 - the oldest structure in your area (of any type, oldest house, monument, school, whatever — tell us what it is and how old it is); 

IMG_4190.jpg2 - storm drain or manhole or other utility cover (keep your eyes pealed — there are some very artsy manholes in the world); 

3 - a wild animal.  (Going to the zoo is OK.  The animal need not be alive.  Statutes are OK.  If you use a stuffed animal, put it somewhere usual for the shot).  I found this guy in the DC hood ...

IMG_4180.jpg

Although a picture of your dog/cat other pet won’t satisfy the scavenger hunt, post those anyway.  We love ‘em.                                                           

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format.       
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
295 REPLIES 295

Day eight of thirty stomps:

• At least 5000 steps every day: 8/30
  • At least 7000 steps on two days each week: 2/8; 1/4
  • By the end of the month, have the 28-day average at 7000 steps: Average = 6806 -> 6601 -> 6687 (I've just realised this only goes to the previous day. It will increase.)
  • 2 km walk or longer - ten in the month (can include running): 1/10
  • At least 6 hours of sleep on 20 days a month: 6/20.
  • 3 scavenger pics: 1/3.
Best Answer

STEPcember 8

Steps: Goal right now is 10000 8/30 This will increase as I go
Boxing 30 days: 8/30
Bike 2 times 30 days: 8/30
Weights 12 days: 3/30

Wall Push ups 30 days:  8/30
250 Steps per hour 7/30 

Lose 3 Pounds .5/3
Post Scavenger hunt photos 3/3

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

STEPtember 8

10,000 steps on at least 15 days of the month  -  3/15.

15,000 steps on at least 5 days of the month  -  0/5.

4 walks along the foreshore of my local beach  -  0/4.

7 hours sleep on at least 15 days of the month  -  7/15.

10 wall push ups on at least 20 days of the month  -  4/20.

Scavenger hunt pictures  -  2/3.

Headache still hanging around.  I haven't been able to be out of bed much the last couple of days the pain's been so bad.  At least I'm meeting my sleep goals.

Best Answer

Day nine of thirty stomps:

• At least 5000 steps every day: 9/30
  • At least 7000 steps on two days each week: 3/8; 1.5/4
  • By the end of the month, have the 28-day average at 7000 steps: Average = 6601 Day 1 -> 6724 Day 8 (I've changed this and am now calculating the 28-day average of the daily actuals to yesterday. The 28-day average on the website dashboard doesn't reconcile.)
  • 2 km walk or longer - ten in the month (can include running): 2/10
  • At least 6 hours of sleep on 20 days a month: 7/20.
  • 3 scavenger pics: 1/3.
Best Answer

Results as of STEPcember 8th:

• At least 10,000 steps every day: 8/30
  • At least 15,000 steps three days each week: 5/12 | 1/4
  • At least 20,000 steps one day per week: 1/4
  • 3 scavenger pics: 0/3.
  • Lose 2lbs: 1/2

Down one pound this morning which was very exciting!  Yesterday was a busy day with my husband, we took our dogs on two walks (morning and evening) and then we went to a local park.  We did some walking and then ran 1.5 miles for his military PT training.  I attempted to mow the lawn yesterday, but the grass was still too wet from all the rain we've been having.  I hope we get sun today that will dry it out because it needs a mow badly.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

9 September

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                  7/20            

Swim 2x per week                                         2/2      2/8                             

Dance 6 hours a week                                  9/6     9/24                           

One Interval walk or bike ride per week     2/1     2/4

Post 3 Scavenger Hunt Pictures                  3/3    

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Well it looks like I am out for awhile  my fitbit will no longer connect to my charger.  On a chat with customer service. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing to report from yesterday (8 September). Had a slow morning and by the time I put on my fitbit it wasn't long until I got the notice that it needed recharging. I was leaving mid-afternoon for a friend's 60th birthday party, and wanted to wear a nice looking watch (my fitbit has had a nasty scratch since day 3); hence, only recorded 972 steps on my fitbit on Saturday. Hey -- that's a new LOW for me! Smiley Very Happy

This morning I did manage to get a few snaps of the oldest building in our town (aka Swiss village). It was once the prison in our village, only a short 'march' away from the Schloss (aka Castle, pics to follow another time). The year: 1542

Side of the 'prison'Side of the 'prison'A posted notice of the historyA posted notice of the history

Best Answer

18 09 09 0800.JPG

I took a week off to rest a sore knee so the problem wouldn't become chronic. Fortunately, I had some miles in the bank.

Yesterday was the 100th day of the challenge. I'm about 1.5 miles behind the timeline. That should be easy to make up. 

Best Answer

Welcome back @GershonSurge! Wondered where you'd been. How's the knee now?

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

18 09 09 0800.JPG

I took a week off to rest a sore knee so the problem wouldn't become chronic. Fortunately, I had some miles in the bank.

Yesterday was the 100th day of the challenge. I'm about 1.5 miles behind the timeline. That should be easy to make up. 

@GershonSurge What challenge are you doing?  Is it privately or with a group?  Looks fun!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Best Answer

@Heather-S wrote:

@GershonSurge wrote:

18 09 09 0800.JPG

@GershonSurge What challenge are you doing?  Is it privately or with a group?  Looks fun!

@Heather-S

It's a private challenge, but you can start one anytime. I started on 6/1/18. The goal is to complete 100,000 Fitbit miles by my hundredth birthday on 6/5/53. Obviously, there are two parts to this challenge.

Best Answer

My September goals

Steps 15k per day

30+ floors per day

7+ miles per day

Three or more pics of each scavanger hunt topic. 

Check in at least 2x a week.

Last but not least, lose 4 ugly pounds

9/5 steps 21,345, 34 floors, 10.02 miles

9/6 steps 16,099, 6 floors, 7.77 miles     a town day but weather was nice so easier to get my steps.

9/7 steps 19,287, 54 floors, 9.04 miles

9/8 steps 18,872, 17 floors, 8.95 miles

My daily average this week was 21,238 steps, 52 floors, 9.97 miles

Best Answer

-10000 steps:     3/25 - so already out of off days for the month.

-Other exercise:    0/6

-Archival to-do:     0/1
-Trendweight:   0.2/1.7

-post  - 4/10

-scavenger hunt. 0/3 - although 2 pics are in my camera.  It's just cumbersome to get them here.
-"The 100"  6 /25  - missed 2 days last week although I did pick up the missing items yesterday, so I still have 800 in the last 7 days, but ...

Borrowed my friends charger and it is my charger, not my fitbit so I am just getting a new one. 

Best Answer

Stomping STEPcember 9

20 x 13,000 steps — 6/20

20 x 40 jumping jacks — 6/20

3 x scavenger hunt photos — 2/3

BONUS *** getting to 20,000 steps — 0

Best Answer

STEPtember 9

Steps: Goal right now is 10000 9/30 This will increase as I go
Boxing 30 days: 9/30
Bike 2 times 30 days: 9/30
Weights 12 days: 3/30

Wall Push ups 30 days:  9/30
250 Steps per hour 8/30 

Lose 3 Pounds .5/3
Post Scavenger hunt photos 3/3

Community Council Member

Best Answer

STEPtember 9

10,000 steps on at least 15 days of the month  -  3/15.

15,000 steps on at least 5 days of the month  -  0/5.

4 walks along the foreshore of my local beach  -  0/4.

7 hours sleep on at least 15 days of the month  -  7/15.

10 wall push ups on at least 20 days of the month  -  4/20.

Scavenger hunt pictures  -  2/3.

No better on the pain front here.  Had the doctor come round on Saturday who left some stronger medicine than I can get over the counter at the pharmacy.  While it initially took the edge off, the pain came roaring back again once it wore off.  Think it's time to head to hospital today and see if they can do anything for this now almost 5 day long migraine that doesn't seem to have an intention of breaking.

Best Answer

STEPtember 9

15K steps/day9/30

50 Floors/day 20 times

6/20

1 pushup/day 2/30

9/30

14 non-weight gym days

4/14

9 weight-lifting days

4/9

post 3 scavenger hunt pics

1/3

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

3/12

Weight loss of 2-4 lbs (Sept 2 = 162.3 on TW)

Weight down 0.3 to 162 this week.  I have a couple of possibilities for oldest building in the Baltimore area, but massive rain this weekend kept me from biking out for pics.  Maybe tomorrow.  (Not gonna find anything older than @Jotex's prison, though.  Wow!)  In the meantime found some more storm drains / manhole covers etc over the past week ...

BaltimoreBaltimoreBaltimoreBaltimoreDCDCBaltimoreBaltimoreBaltimoreBaltimoreDCDCDCDCBaltimoreBaltimore

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott some of those are cool. Love that last one.

@Ennay Did you get a new Fitbit?

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Wow - you do have some nice artwork there, @Baltoscott 🙂

Here are a couple of photos I took today of the local wildlife in our backyard. Cockatoos and a young crimson rosella. The photos were taken through the window glass, so are a mite hazy.

cocky.jpg

cocky-2.jpg

Best Answer