Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stomping STEPcember Challenge and Scavenger Hunt

ANSWERED

Stomping STEPcember Challenge and Scavenger Hunt

Anything Goes August is almost over and it is time to start a new step challenge.  So here comes the STOMPING STEPCEMBER Step Challenge and Scavenger Hunt.  Yes, STOMPING because just like kids going back to school, we know it sucks that summer is over (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway), and that it sometimes helps to express your feelings with a stomp or two.

General monthly instructions are below, but we are also continuing the practice started last month of a picture scavenger hunt:  

Take your phone or other camera on your walks and look for, snap, and post three pics or more of the following: 

1 - the oldest structure in your area (of any type, oldest house, monument, school, whatever — tell us what it is and how old it is); 

IMG_4190.jpg2 - storm drain or manhole or other utility cover (keep your eyes pealed — there are some very artsy manholes in the world); 

3 - a wild animal.  (Going to the zoo is OK.  The animal need not be alive.  Statutes are OK.  If you use a stuffed animal, put it somewhere usual for the shot).  I found this guy in the DC hood ...

IMG_4180.jpg

Although a picture of your dog/cat other pet won’t satisfy the scavenger hunt, post those anyway.  We love ‘em.                                                           

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format.       
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
295 REPLIES 295

18 09 11 0548.JPG

@Heather-S

Congratulations on getting your dream job. 

@Jotex

That snake looks like fun. 

Best Answer

@Heather-S wrote:

Well, I got the dream job I wanted!  I start next week!  It's an accounting job and the pay is very similar to what I made in Key West, so I'm super excited!  But going back to work means probably less steps.  My goal will be to go to the gym early before work to get in the bulk of my steps for the day.  I'm so excited to get back to work finally!  Yay!

I meant to ask how the job interviews went @Heather-S, but I see that's not necessary.  Glad you are back to work, and hitting the gym in the AM sounds like a good plan.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Jotex wrote:

Here's a slightly better pic of my 'wild animal' scavenger hunt photo. Rexi the Royal Python in our apple tree a couple of years ago. [photos by Peter]

rexi_appletree.jpg

Quite biblical 🙂

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

STEPtember 11

Steps: Goal right now is 10000 11/30 This will increase as I go
Boxing 30 days: 11/30
Bike 2 times 30 days: 11/30
Weights 12 days: 4/30

Wall Push ups 30 days:  11/30
250 Steps per hour 10/30 

Lose 3 Pounds .5/3
Post Scavenger hunt photos 3/3

@Jotex  EEEK! That's one freaking big snake. But I must admit it is pretty

@Heather-SCongrats on the new Job that's awesome!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

STEPtember 11

15K steps/day11/30

50 Floors/day 20 times

8/20

1 pushup/day 2/30

11/30

14 non-weight gym days

6/14

9 weight-lifting days

4/9

post 3 scavenger hunt pics

2/3

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

4/12

Weight loss of 2-4 lbs (Sept 2 = 162.3 on TW)

Although I posted the squirrel taunting my cat earlier, i didn't count it as a scavenger hunt pic.  But, I think I'm going to count this wild fish I saw at a middle school on my bike ride home.  I guess he is a "school of fish," right?

School of Fish -- Roland Park Middle SchoolSchool of Fish -- Roland Park Middle School

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Heather-S Congrats on the new job!! Woot woot!

I went back to work this week after 3 weeks off and I am struggling!!! I missed my step goal yesterday and I will also miss it today...feeling extremely tired...slept for 10 hours last night and could barely get out of bed this morning...also have a sore throat...not sure if its the smoke from the forest fires still or getting a cold...drinking lots of water and going to bed early again tonight...giving my body some rest in the hopes that I will recover from whatever this is and get back on track. 🙂

September 11 Update

Steps 15k - 8/30 (missed two days this week, and one last week...eeekkk!)

Hikes - 3/6

Weight loss 1.5/6

Scavenger hunt 2/3

Best Answer

Day twelve of thirty stomps:

• At least 5000 steps every day: 12/30
  • At least 7000 steps on two days each week: 4/8; 2/4
  • By the end of the month, have the 28-day average at 7000 steps: Average = 6601 Day 1 -> 6758 Day 11 (Showing the average of 28 days to yesterday.)
  • One or more 2 km walks or longer on ten days in the month (can include running): 4/10 
  • At least 6 hours of sleep on 20 days a month: 9/20.
  • 3 scavenger pics: 2/3.
Best Answer

Didn’t make my goals yesterday (11 September — always a melancholy day since 9/11). Spent a lot of time watching online videos and talking to a friend in England about free motion quilting for my latest project, then experimented and realized I need a different pressure foot. 😐 Called and found a shop which could order it, but I’d have to pay for it first. So off I went. 

Had a spontaneous offer for dinner in the restaurant at Bern’s Rose Garden. (Not enough hours in the day to get a long walk in. Will do better today.) But had a lovely time time with daughter and a friend (her mother-in-law), saw some beautiful roses, and enjoyed the view of old city Bern. The Minster Cathedral was started in the 1400’s. 

2DFDAD6B-5F02-4691-ADD3-E4E85500D191.jpeg

2CEF9651-A0B4-449C-BE2C-83D0184B9DC2.jpeg

D4C0D0F1-08A5-48E9-A4D1-674A247FE112.jpeg

Best Answer

Almost completely forgot...

@Baltoscott - your comment was spot on about the snake in an apple tree. Peter staged the shot for a sermon. Nice fish ‘tale’ of your own. 😊

Congrats and good luck 🍀 on the new job @Heather-S! 🎉

Wishing a speedy revovery to @lavabelle and @CatLover74.

Also am enjoying all the kangaroo shots @SunsetRunner. 💗

Best Answer

STEPtember 12

10,000 steps on at least 15 days of the month  -  3/15.

15,000 steps on at least 5 days of the month  -  0/5.

4 walks along the foreshore of my local beach  -  0/4.

7 hours sleep on at least 15 days of the month  -  10/15.

10 wall push ups on at least 20 days of the month  -  4/20.

Scavenger hunt pictures  -  2/3.

Well, I thought I was on the road to recovery, but then my body's like - "ha, just kidding!" and down I go again.  After so many days of inactivity (some of which I didn't even crack 2,000 steps), it looks like I'll be revisiting these same goals again in October.

Best Answer

@lavabelle - I hope you get to feeling better.  Feeling under weather always sucks, especially when our steps and fitness goals are affected.  Get some much needed rest!

@Jotex - Really amazing pictures!  That snake is cool!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

@Baltoscott wow great manhole covers. Some of those have real character!

12 September

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                  9/20            

Swim 2x per week                                         1/2      3/8                             

Dance 6 hours a week                                  2.5/6     11.5/24                           

One Interval walk or bike ride per week     1/1     3/4

Post 3 Scavenger Hunt Pictures                  3/3    

I came across these guys on my walk todayAustralian White IbisAustralian White Ibis

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

18 09 12 0511.JPG

I've been steadily getting 16,000 steps before 8 am and then getting whatever steps I get during the rest of the day.

Great pictures everyone. 

@lavabelle, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Best Answer

Great pictures! such a treat to visit this thread.

@CatLover74 I hope you are feeling better soon...not feeling well sucks!!!

I got my normal 7 hours of sleep last night and woke up feeling good...maybe I just need to catch up on some sleep from all of the excitement from being on vacation...who knows, but feeling much better today and did my regular morning walk! yay!! I have not let myself run since my backpacking trip because my left foot has been really achy...right under my big toe...have never had this kind of pain before, so thought probably should not make it worse by running on it...was reading up on this kind of pain since it's completely new to me, and it sounds like it's pretty normal for active people...so not worrying, but also not running for now until it does not hurt anymore...have not gone back to tracking my calories either, and trying to eat by feel only...eat when I am hungry and stop when I am not hungry (not going till full)...and I noticed the last two days since not being very active, I am not hungry at all...or barely hungry...thought that was interesting...I'm usually always hungry...lol

Best Answer

Stomping STEPcember 12

20 x 13,000 steps — 8/20

20 x 40 jumping jacks — 8/20

3 x scavenger hunt photos — 3/3

BONUS *** getting to 20,000 steps — 0

Best Answer

STEPtember 12

Steps: Goal right now is 11000 12/30 This will increase as I go
Boxing 30 days: 12/30
Bike 2 times 30 days: 12/30
Weights 12 days: 5/30
Wall Push ups 30 days: 12/30
250 Steps per hour 11/30

Lose 3 Pounds .5/3
Post Scavenger hunt photos 3/3

@Baltoscott: Cool fish!

@Jotex: Love all the photos. Roses were beautiful!

@NellyG: Love those birds!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

STEPtember 12

15K steps/day12/30

50 Floors/day 20 times

9/20

1 pushup/day 2/30

12/30

14 non-weight gym days

7/14

9 weight-lifting days

4/9

post 3 scavenger hunt pics

2/3

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

4/12

Weight loss of 2-4 lbs (Sept 2 = 162.3 on TW)

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Day 13 of thirty stomps:

• At least 5000 steps every day: 13/30
  • At least 7000 steps on two days each week: 5/8; 2/4
  • By the end of the month, have the 28-day average at 7000 steps: Average = 6601 Day 1 -> 6840 Day 12 (Showing the average of 28 days to yesterday.)
  • One or more 2 km walks or longer on ten days in the month (can include running): 5/10 
  • At least 6 hours of sleep on 20 days a month: 10/20.
  • 3 scavenger pics: 2/3.
Best Answer

18 09 13 0138.JPG

@lavabelle.

Hope your toe feels better soon. Many problems in the forward part of the foot can be traced to a toebox that is too narrow. Consider buying a shoe with a wider toe box. Nike has some good models as do New Balance and Asics. 

It helps to keep a running journal with a minimum of logging the onset of even the most minor injuries. You can get all the other data from Fitbit. I've found I need to limit my Fitbit miles from all sources to about 65 a week to keep my right knee from hurting too badly. Slowing down helps, too. If you like faster runs, try to limit them to one or two a week and reduce weekly mileage.

Best Answer

STEPtember 13

10,000 steps on at least 15 days of the month  -  4/15.

15,000 steps on at least 5 days of the month  -  0/5.

4 walks along the foreshore of my local beach  -  0/4.

7 hours sleep on at least 15 days of the month  -  10/15.

10 wall push ups on at least 20 days of the month  -  4/20.

Scavenger hunt pictures  -  2/3.

Best Answer