Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress and resting heart rate

Hi everyone! My RHR increased from 65 to 75 this past month. I have been pretty stressed out... new job and illness in the family. 

Otherwise my diet and workout schedule has not changed.

ive been trying to relax. I feel fine... but I can tell I’m tense because my shoulders are very tight.

Has anyone else experienced this type of increase with stress? I’m otherwise a very healthy 40 year old woman

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Yes and welcome to life and stress in general.  Higher HR happens however there are things you can do to help get yourself through stressful situations and lower your HR.

Best Answer

yep ... stress WILL elevate the resting heart rate ... I see this in advance of a major event at work even after getting extra sleep ... apparently my body "knows" the stress is building for the event ... nevertheless, it does drop down a day after the stressful event has finished ... stress just happens ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your RHR goes up down and every which way all the time. But I do agree that stress can cause a significant change. I know it is easy for anyone to say..well just get those stresser out of your life.. reality is something entirely different. you can however find ways to even out the stressful times. get as much sleep as you can. get exercise and make sure you are hydrated. watch things that empty your mind and don't make you think too much or about unpleasant things. read things that are whimsical and cause you to laugh or feel happy. mostly remember- this too shall pass...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer