Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweating less in the cold winter when jogging/running.

ANSWERED

So I haven't been on the FB forum for 5 weeks due to the disappointing weight gain I've experienced as well as being unable to achieve my target weight for the Halloween challenge. Recently I've gone below my lowest weight and hope to set new record low weights in the weeks to come. I've noticed that I sweat less in winter than I do in summer meaning that I don't lose as much water weight when I jog. The cold temperature also makes warming up for a jog more difficult. The lower temperature doesn't affect my heart rate or the calories burned according to the data metrics on my treadmill.

Does anyone know if the cold weather decreases the efficiency of jogging/running to lose weight?

I've increased the duration of my jogging/running from 40 minutes to 1 hour. My calories burned, steps and distance have certainly increased. Will the longer duration compensate for the cold winter months?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@exhile wrote:

Does anyone know if the cold weather decreases the efficiency of jogging/running to lose weight?

I don’t think so. If anything, exposure to cold weather increases energy consumption, since some extra energy needs to be used to keep your body temperature at the right level (just like sweating is how you cool it down). Just make sure you warm up properly, especially if you go straight from the warmth of your home to super-cold outdoor conditions such as in this case Smiley Happy.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

@exhile wrote:

I don’t think so. If anything, exposure to cold weather increases energy consumption, since some extra energy needs to be used to keep your body temperature at the right level (just like sweating is how you cool it down). Just make sure you warm up properly, especially if you go straight from the warmth of your home to super-cold outdoor conditions such as in this case Smiley Happy.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@exhile, lots of stuff to cover here...

• Running in high heat and humidity will make your body work harder per unit of exercise due to the fact your heart will be working harder to keep your body cool.  As was described to me by a physiologist, when you train in high temperatures, your body adapts by increasing the capillary capacity near the surface of the skin where plasma is pumped for cooling (women apparently have somewhat more of this capacity than men).  The net difference between a hot weather run of any given distance versus a cold weather run of the same distance won't amount to more than say ten percent either way.  Said another way, I wouldn't focus on this aspect of your training.
  • Regarding water weight, once in a good exercise program (i.e. beyond the first week or so), losing water weight shouldn't typically be an issue.  Why?  Water weight is typically shed during the first few days of a program and then an equilibrium sets in where your exercise induced needs are balanced by your relative thirst; in the summer when you sweat a lot, you'll want to be drinking more fluids, in the winter you won't.
  • When it comes to speed versus distance; unless you're an elite runner, I would always coach toward extra distance, regardless of the weather.  Why?  Long Slow Distance (aka. LSD) helps prepare the body for the rigors of running by allowing your bones, joints, and connective tissue, which develop at a fairly glacial pace, to keep up with the development of your cardio/pulmonary and muscular systems, which happens at a fairly rapid pace.
Best Answer

When I used to run in the winter I dressed in layers so I wouldn't sweat so much.  Nothing is worse than half way through your run your path leads you into the wind while wearing wet clothing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

When I used to run in the winter I dressed in layers so I wouldn't sweat so much.  Nothing is worse than half way through your run your path leads you into the wind while wearing wet clothing.

I had a run a couple of years ago on a cold windy single digit day, the last half of which was against a wind coming from my front left.  I had dressed with a long-sleeved polypro inner layer, a thick cotton middle layer, and a wind shell on the outer layer, and when I got home I was surprised to find the outer two layers on my left arm were frozen solid, and yet the polypro layer kept my arm nice and comfortable.  I'm thinking the ice actually acted as a wind barrier which helped protect my arm.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't lose weight by sweating - you lose weight by burning calories. When you're cold, you actually burn *more* calories, because your body is trying to keep itself warm. So don't worry about how much you're sweating, just get that heart rate up 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ryder120 wrote:

You don't lose weight by sweating - you lose weight by burning calories. When you're cold, you actually burn *more* calories, because your body is trying to keep itself warm. So don't worry about how much you're sweating, just get that heart rate up 🙂

I would argue you burn fewer calories when running in the cold.  Why?  It isn't so much you're body working harder to keep itself warm as it is your body doesn't have to work as hard to keep itself cool when dissipating the heat generated from exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I agree the polypro worn next to the skin helps wick the moisture away
from the body. It was must for me when I ran in the winter, I also wore a
Goretex outer shell on very cold and windy days.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You may feel like your body is working harder to keep you warm when it’s cold outside, but you don’t start to burn additional calories until you shiver. Shivering is a sign that your body is trying to keep a steady temperature. The calories you burn will vary depending on the outside temperature, how long you’ve been outside and what type of clothing you’re wearing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Angie110: When I ran in the winter I never shivered. After the first mile
I was toasty warm. I wore cotton gloves for my hands but took them off
after 2-3 miles because my hands started to sweat. The key to running in
the winter is the wearing something that wicks moisture away from the
body(polypropylene) along with layering. You don't want a lot of moisture
close to your body when the wind chill is below zero. I burned enough
calories just by running my 6-7 miles, with moisture close to your body, as
it evaporates it lowers the bodies core temperature causing one to shiver.
Best Answer
0 Votes

if you need a running/jogging partner pls contact me let's talk and workout perfect time.  Call or chat me on WhatsApp 7813330208

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

A running friend needed..7813330208

Contact me please 

Best Answer
0 Votes