Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming

I recently started swimming. My Charge  3 shows the time and number of laps but doesn't give me much credit for them. I feel like I am working a lot harder then I am getting credit for. Is there a trick to making it more accurate?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @apezzi 

Here are some reasons for inaccuracies while swimming:

WHY DOES MY FITBIT SWIM DATA SEEM WRONG?

Inconsistencies in your swim data may be caused by any of the following:

• You completed only a few laps
  • You stopped to rest multiple times or in the middle of the pool
  • You stopped to rest for longer than 60 seconds after completing a pool length
  • You changed your stroke type midway through a length
  • You swam with a kickboard or without using your arms
  • You swam less than the minimum duration needed for your swim to be automatically recognized

Does the number of laps seem correct?  Did you enter the length of the pool?

HOW DO I SET THE POOL LENGTH FOR MY FITBIT DEVICE?

Enter the pool length in meters or yards before you start your swim. Remember to update the pool length if you use a different size pool. 

• CHARGE 3
    1. On your device, open the Exercise app > Swim.
    2. Swipe up and tap Pool Length.

Please let me know if this helps.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I will pay more attention to the things you mention. I do take a little
rest after a few laps but I don't think it is anywhere near 60 seconds.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I verified/followed all of the information you provided. I still feel like it doesn't give me enough credit. For example, I did 14 laps in 20 minutes and got credit for like 90 calories. When I walk for 20 minutes I get more than that. I think because is doesn't record heart rate it isn't as accurate. Clearly I am working a lot harder swimming than walking even though I do walk fast. Not a big deal....just thought I might be doing something wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It may be caused by the fact that when you swim the HR monitoring is off (by design, yiu can't turn it on). It may affect calories as Fitbit doesn't know what kind of effort you do unlike when you perform other activities with HR on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@apezzi it is what you said in your second post - you are not getting HR credit for the activity and the steps aren't accurate since it is not a step activity so it doesn't give you an estimate based on that either. the good news is- you are working hard and you are being active. Swimming is a great activity for your heart and overall fitness. Good for you and keep on swimming 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

i found my swimming calculation was more acurate if i swam for more then 30 mins in a session. I also paused the timer when i wanted to have a rest or stop for water.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks...I will give that a try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you stop or end the timer?  I find that I’m stuck in a timer session and can’t get out of it. I hate the timer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes