Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my pace in mph/kmh?

ANSWERED

I went on a 40 walk and my Fitbit detected it and told me later that my pace was 17’25”

I can’t seem to find anywhere that can help me translate this number to miles per hour or kilometres per hour. I found one other old thread but the replies were just saying that it means ‘17 minutes and 25 seconds’..... I don’t understand how to translate my pace number to miles per hour though.

I primarily work with miles, so if someone can help me translate it to that? 

Thank you

(It wasn’t a super fast walk but it’s a detail I’d like to know how to work out)

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

mph = 60 (minutes in an hour) divided by time per mile, with seconds converted to decimal minutes.

In your example, 25/60 = .42  ; i.e. 25 seconds is 42 hundredths of a mile; so pace is 17.42

60 (minutes/hour)/17.42 (minutes/mile) = 3.44 mph

But isn't it simpler to think of pace per mile like most people.  I hear of someone running a 6 minute mile pace al lot more than I hear them running 10 miles/hour,  unless you're talking Nascar.

Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, but I never heard it stated as him breaking 15 mph for a mile run.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

mph = 60 (minutes in an hour) divided by time per mile, with seconds converted to decimal minutes.

In your example, 25/60 = .42  ; i.e. 25 seconds is 42 hundredths of a mile; so pace is 17.42

60 (minutes/hour)/17.42 (minutes/mile) = 3.44 mph

But isn't it simpler to think of pace per mile like most people.  I hear of someone running a 6 minute mile pace al lot more than I hear them running 10 miles/hour,  unless you're talking Nascar.

Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, but I never heard it stated as him breaking 15 mph for a mile run.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Thank you 🙂 That's great.

And yes it might be easier for those sorts of conversations haha but I primarily use the mph to calculate the calories burned during certain walks/runs, and usually they talk about pace in terms of mph or kph 🙂 thanks again !

Best Answer

I see.  That makes sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be so much easier if Fitbit added speed to run/walk data fields (which for some unknown reason is not implemented).

Best Answer
0 Votes