Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take off that Fitbit. Exercise alone won’t make you lose weight Article

ANSWERED

What does the fitbit community think about this article?

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76
I'm using my 'Bit to GAIN!
LOL!
What a ridiculous article.
FitBits are for HEALTH.
I am underweight.
By using my 'Bit, tracking my foods, and exercising (to build lean muscle) I am accomplishing my goal!
I'm 5'7", 14% body fat, and 111.4 lbs.
I expect to reach the bottom end of the healthy range for my height (at LEAST!), and FitBit is my wonderfully useful too to do so.
Best Answer
Tool* not too.
Oopsie!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow!  This guy probably can't add 2+2!  He takes everything out of context to make his point.  While it is true that exercise, if not accompanied by a calorie deficit diet will not help you loose weight, but his focus there is the calorie restriction rather than the exercise.  He is also not considering the type of exercise cited for increased metobolism.  An increase in metabolism is accomplished with resistance type exercise that build muscle.  Aerobic exercise has fat burning benifits DURING the exercise where muscle building, anerobic exercise continues after the exercise and, as muscle grows, it does consume more metabolic energy.  The comparison between a hunter-gatherer tribe and western persons in terms of basil metoabolism is not a valid scenorio.  Hunter-gatherers aren't doing activities that make their muscles grow.  If anything, due to sporadic and sometimes inadequate food supply, they don't want an increased metobolism nor could they support it.

His entire primise is that if you exercise, you automatically increase your caloric intake and that's why exercise alone doesn't work, but in that premise, he violates his exercise alone basis.  Exercise WITHOUT a corresponding increase in consumed calories will either reduce the speed at which you add weight, stop weight gain or cause weight loss depending on the relative ratio of calories consumed to calories burned. 

This statement:  "activity increased between 2001 and 2009, particularly in counties in Kentucky, Georgia and Florida. But the rise in exercise was matched by an increase in obesity in almost every county studied" is especially aggregious in that it names 3 states that had an increase in activity, but then says obestity increased in almost every county studied.  If he intended this to mean that in all counties studied in these 3 states activity increased, but at the same time obesity increased, he is comparing a population to individual accomplishments.  In theory, if one person in each county increased their activity level AND lost weight, but everyone else continued their lifestyle, then the entire county did indeed increase in obesity, but the correlation with increased activity isn't valid as it basis acts of individuals on outcome of a population and standard statistical comaprisons don't apply.  Now, if they had taken a group from each county who did, in fact, increase their activity and did NOT change their consumption figures, the results may well have been different.

Now this one:  "When people exercise, they stimulate their appetites, spurring them to eat more than they would have without working out."  This is an assumption and depends on the motivation for the person who is doing the exercise, but he states it as a universal fact.  I know many of us understand if we want to lose weight we exercise and track our consumption and that is one of the benefits the fitbit app and website offer.  However, if someone's desire is to become a body builder (or at least add muscle mass), they may indeed increase their consumption of calories in order the gain weight.  My main point though is that he makes an assertion that implies EVERYONE who begins to exercise automatically eats more and this is a fallicy to which most of us here can attest.

Next:  "Trial evidence consistently reveals that basal metabolic rates tend to drop as people lose weight, despite daily exercise."  True, but it drops even more if you just restrict calories and don't exercise or do something to maintain your muscle mass.  Diet is important here as well, espeically if we restrict calories, especially protein as our bodies will consume our own muscles mass for the protein we need resulting is less muscle and lower metabolism.  Even if we maintain our muscle mass, our metabolism will drop slightly as it takes less effort to carry around less fat. 

This goes on:  "A comprehensive 2013 literature review by Amy Luke, a public health scholar at Loyola University of Chicago, concludes that “numerous trials have indicated that exercise plus calorie restriction achieves virtually the same result in weight loss as calorie restriction alone.”"  Again, true, but incomplete.  weight loss is determined by a simple formula: 3500 calories equal 1 pound.  If your calorie restriction equals the same with or without exercise you'll loose the same amount of 'weight'.  But will you also loose muscle mass?  Probably.  NASA did a study that showed as little as 3 days without exercise, a muscle will begin to atrophy.  This is why astronauts attempt to exercise while in space, but even in weightlessness, muscle loss during long term micro-gravity exposure always results in muscle loss.  Less muscle equals lower metabolic rate.  If you just do a calorie restriction and only accounting for natural muscle atrophy, your caloric need AFTER the diet will be less tending to make you gain the weight back faster if you return to your pre-diet consumption habits. 

I could go on and on with errors in logic, half truthes and erroneous assumptions in this article.  I have a tendancy to assume Dr is taking a 'shock jock' approach to make some point, but this article is filled with half truths and wild assumptions based on unrelated or incomplete facts.  About the only thing he says to redeem himself is:  " None of this means you should turn in your gym membership card. Working out will make you healthier and less susceptible to disease. No matter what your size, even 20 to 30 minutes of physical activity that breaks you into a sweat five times per week will substantially improve your health and well-being." But again, he ruins it with:  "Do what you enjoy, whether it’s dancing, cycling, sex or all three. If it’s longevity you’re after, note that elite athletes in high-intensity sports don’t live any longer than top golfers." - Top golfers to a lot of walking and are not generally obese!  Wait a minute, doesn't fitbit encourage walking?

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
^^^ Yes! 😀
To those of us who know better, it's an atrocious article!
Yeah, unsure of his purpose in writing it, for sure!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't bother to read all the comments but i don't entirely agree saying exercise alone doesn't lead to weight loss. Well yah in a sense it's true cause obviously you have to eat accordingly but i'm not really reffering to it that way. I never really had to deal with that so what i say only applies to being healthier. For me it's always been that exercise has MADE me eat healthier. I don't know too many people that want a chocolate cake after a good workout. Sure you can eat healthier first but i doing that just seems to be more about will power rather than your body telling you (which to me is a bit easier to manage) to eat fruit or drink water over soda after a workout. Maybe that just me.

Best Answer

RE you cannot exercise and loose weight on a bad diet, I know what you mean. I did not realize just how few calories my body can biologically burn until I got a fitbit and checked the calories column. On a bad day when I barely move, the calories number is down around 1000-1100 calories. That is about half of the 2000 calories doctors say an average person needs per day (on the declaration placed on each items you buy in a store). We need to eat fewer calories than we (and the doctors) think.

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrong post. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I use my FitBit to keep up my energy, strengthen my cardio, build muscle and improve insulin sensibility. I would never use it to loose weight because you truly can't walk away a bad diet. Diet is key.

The only way to lose weight on a McDonald's diet is by cutting down a four Big Mac intake to a two Big Mac intake. Yeah, you'll most likely loose weight but will you be healthy? No. Will you lose all of the weight you need to? No. Will adding a mile walk to the new lesser Big Mac intake increase weight loss? Maybe. The weight will be of water being lost by sweating out the pounds of salt in each of those burgers but you won't be losing any FAT. Your weight will quickly plateau and you will remain at a high risk for coronary disease. You will also develop a hell of an appetite after working your body out with absolutely no nutrients being delivered from those trans fat burgers.

So, no. You need to eat right for your work out to matter. Your body needs the nutrients from a healthy diet to repair itself from your workouts as well. The healthy diet will also give you the energy to continue your work outs. There is nothing worse than trying to drag an unwilling body into physical activity. That's a hallmark for quitting and going out for ice cream instead.

Is exercise good? YES. It's the single best thing you can do for yourself and the FitBit might motivate you for that but it won't work for those that want to use exercise as a free pass for eating doughnuts. No one can save you from the harm of the doughnuts, not even exercise.
Best Answer
A gym membership won't make you fit either. Since getting my Fitbit, I have increased my mileage, joined challenges and enjoyed the banter and exchange of encouragement between the challenge participants. I believe ultimately it's is the person's willingness to get out there, move, exercise and the discipline to eat right that will help you.
Best Answer

((quote)) Maybe, just maybe, people generally don't have a very good memory about how hard they worked out, or how well the ate, 10 years ago ... or yesterday. 

This is an old post but it caught my eye.  I remember killer workouts, I mean more than you could picture just hours in the gym and that was after running around all day.  I remember those workouts and I just agree with the above statement or quote.  It's been awhile, I'm back at this a few weeks now prior to fit bit but I'm beat. Today is the start of my next cycle of training and I need two days off.    

Best Answer

Spending 3 minutes a day with a food diary will have a bigger impact on your weight than 30 minutes a day in the gym

Weight is lost in the kitchen and health is gained in the gym

The people who are most successful at managing their weight are those who embrace both consistency and imperfection.

Weight management is a skill set that must be learned over time. You start with really basic moves that you practice over and over and over again. You fall down a bunch; but doing so is an expectation, not a disappointment. Slowly, but surely, you get better and better at it. Getting there will be slow, plodding, and will include many failures

Best Answer

Do you have Pintrest?  There are a ton of exercise examples that you can use your own body weight for strength and cardio.  Burpees, jump rope, jumping jacks/half jacks paired with planks, squats and push ups are a great way to design your own HIIT workout.  I am a fan of Beachbody workouts (no I am not a "trainer" so no sales pressure here) but I see they now offer a membership to stream all their workouts with a one month free trial membership.  YouTube also has a bunch of free workouts.

Best Answer

The truth is No Fitbit or any tool is going to make you lose wait. It is the person that has to do the work. For some people it maybe harder then others like me for example it was hard for me to lose weight till I found I had hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and started taking a pill given to me by my doctor  and now I am starting to be in better shape then I was before. I don't have a tracker yet but it can be a great tool to see how your doing.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes

If I can't get a good workout in, I try to walk in place instead of sit. I love to watch Tv so I walk in place while doing so. I also do dome squats and leg work. I try to move and never stay still. Not always possibile but it helps me keep my energy up, which in turn helps me be more mindful of my eating. Hope that helps. 

Best Answer

First off all I want to apologize to everyone who felt my posts were only filled with negativity.  To those individuals I would ask that they go back and read all of them.  They were only negative when it came to IF and the Ketogenic diet. When I look at the device I wear on my wrist, the first 3 letters spell Fit. I guess I naively expected it would lead those who wore it to become more physically fit.  To me, becoming more physically fit means increasing ones aerobic fitness as well as improving ones muscular fitness or strength.  I ask 1 simple question, does losing 10 pounds or decreasing one's % body fat, make one more physically fit?  Aerobic fitness has many positive effects on the body, which I've stated before and for one last time state again.  Aerobic fiiness improves the bodies ability to take in and utilize Oxygen, which is necessary to burn calories.  It also improves the hearts ability to pump oxygenated blood throughout the body, decreasing the buildup of lactic acid for any given activity.  It has been shown to decrease the amount of Triglycerides floating around in the blood stream because it inhances their removal and utilization by muscle cells.  Aerobic exercise has been shown to decrease levels of LDL, or bad Cholesterol, and increase HDL, good Cholesterol.  Aerobic exercise increases the bodies

anaerobic threshold.  When the anaerobic threshold is reached, lactic acid is produced.  Lactic acid blocks the release of epinephrine, thereby reducing the availability of fat for muscle metabolism.  Lactic acid seems to inhibit the mobilization and release of free fatty acid from adipose tissue.  All weight bearing exercise increases the strength of bones, ligaments, tendons and muscle. I'm not going to change the minds of those who believe in IF or the Ketogenic diet, and they will not change my mind, so I will refrain from further posts mentioning either one.  In my 38 years as a Physical Therapist, I have provided my clients with thousands of written programs designed to rehabilitate their individual problems, to those who failed to follow my advice, I would tell them one thing, that it's not my knee, shoulder, neck, back.etc.  To those who think, losing weight, decreasing their % body fat will make them more physically fit, I say to you, it's not my body.  I wish eveyone in the Fitbit community meets their specific goals for their body and in their life! 

Best Answer

The problem was not that you felt that way.  The problem was that you insisted that was the one true way to fitness and argued the point on threads for people who preferred another way.

Frankly, I'm a walking example of how cardio doesn't always help.  For six years I had a job where I walked between 10 and 20 miles every day, usually about 15 miles, and threw myself over walls and locked gates.  It was physically demanding and very difficult, especially at first.  Then my body adjusted and that became the new "normal" for it.  I ended up gaining 30 pounds while walking 15 miles per day at a fast pace.  Your body learns to economize.

My weight loss also stopped more recently as soon as I started running.  When I was lifting weights, everything was going fine.  Then running changed all that, no matter my intake.  So now I no longer run.

The vast majority of changes to your bodyfat come from the kitchen.  For me, if I eat breakfast then I will feel hungry again soon after, no matter what the macros.  It just gets everything going, wanting to keep eating all day.  If I eat nothing before lunch, I have no ill effects.  I also have no cookies or bagels or anything else that really isn't ideal for me.  If I'm not really hungry, and I'm not diabetic, then why should I eat?

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

Raviv- can you go back to your lifting weight routine? 

What do you like to eat? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney

It all has to be done in balance. First of all, any tracking device is only there to make you more aware of your habits, such as lack of physical activity, calories burned or not burned, etc. You cannot simpley rely on any one device, eating habit, or exercise plan to get you to where you want to go. You have to balance. You have to be more active, yes, but you must also examine how many calories you are taking in versus how many you are burning during the course of a day. Eating more than you are burning will not cause you to lose weight, it will add pounds. Additionally, you cannot only do cardio exercises, you must also balance that with strength training in order to improve overall phsyical fitness. Everyone's body is different and you have to find what works for you. As a physical therapist, one would assume you would be aware of that. To feel that putting on a tracking device will instantly fix your problems is a common misconception I am finding and I am baffled by how many people really think it's all about wearing a device and not making any other modifications.

Best Answer

I'm an avid advocate for fitness!  For the last time, losing weight, or decreasing your % body fat does not necessarily lead to improved fitness.  I will no longer respond nor comment on anyone's plan to lose weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's the point you are missing.  No one ever said it did.  Diet and exercise go hand in hand.  Exercise also doesn't have to be cardio.  It can be resistance training as well.  I try to do it all and the results are a loss of 50 lbs AND I can run 4 miles AND I'm stronger.  In other words I'm getting fitter and I lost weight.  Loosing the weight has been key though as when I carried those extra 50, my joints were easily inflammed. 

Loosing weight also helps with other health issues that, in turn, help with getting fitter.  You can't outrun a bad diet.  Loosing weight and getting fit effectively involves a wholistic approach, not just a single variable.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer