Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most important thing I learned from my FitBit

The most important thing I learned from my FitBit was... You can't make up for a day in an hour. I can't lie around all day, do an hour at the gym, and say 'I'm good'.

Some stats...

Yesterday:  49 Active Minutes. 7,218 Steps. 1 Floor. 1463 Calories.

Thursday: 7 Active Minutes. 6,438 Steps. 2 Floors. 1628 Calories.

Tuesday: 0 Active Minutes. 5,704 Steps. 4 Floors. 1647 Calories.

Monday: 0 Active Minutes. 5,360 Steps. 1 Floor. 1567 Calories.

So, judging by Active Minutes and Steps I should have burned a LOT more calories yesterday... But I burned fewer...  A lot fewer. The problem was that I had one active hour at the gym, and laid around reading the rest of the day. The others days I got few (or NO) Active Minutes, and significatly fewer Steps but burned more calories. Those days I was at work. I do a desk job, but try and get up to walk around at least a little bit whenever I can (yes, I know it's very little). Doing small amounts all day long is better than doing nothing all day, and saying an hour at the gym will make up for it. It won't....

Anyway, wanted to share in case this might be helpful for anyone else.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Your post is inspiring.  Makes me realize I've got to keep moving.  It's rainy today, so I'm doing lots of cleaning in addition to cardio. The most important lesson I learned from fitbit is that I must use it according to instructions.  I lost my first fitbit one last year ,and I purchased a new one a week ago.  I decided this time to buy those cute silicon bracelets sold online to use instead of using the clip on.  I wore my new fitbit one for the first time yesterday. Steps, stairs, calories, etc. added up at an enormous rate. For instance,  I logged over 56 flights stairs when knew I had done less than five. I thought something was wrong with the fitbit one until I checked the help advisor.  I learned "Do NOT wear fitbit one on your wrist." Now I am stuck with inaccurate data for my first day of restarting.  I wish there was a way to erase this but I cannot.  Nevertheless, I will not be discouraged.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, @velmck. Sorry you had a rough first day. Good for you for not letting that discourage you. I think you'll love your FitBit One! I love mine. It''s my second one, I washed and dried the first... Oops...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fit bit has accounted me doing 37 flights of stairs , How ever this is very incorrect . 

Has anybody else come across this . TIA

@JenBrat wrote:

The most important thing I learned from my FitBit was... You can't make up for a day in an hour. I can't lie around all day, do an hour at the gym, and say 'I'm good'.

Some stats...

Yesterday:  49 Active Minutes. 7,218 Steps. 1 Floor. 1463 Calories.

Thursday: 7 Active Minutes. 6,438 Steps. 2 Floors. 1628 Calories.

Tuesday: 0 Active Minutes. 5,704 Steps. 4 Floors. 1647 Calories.

Monday: 0 Active Minutes. 5,360 Steps. 1 Floor. 1567 Calories.

So, judging by Active Minutes and Steps I should have burned a LOT more calories yesterday... But I burned fewer...  A lot fewer. The problem was that I had one active hour at the gym, and laid around reading the rest of the day. The others days I got few (or NO) Active Minutes, and significatly fewer Steps but burned more calories. Those days I was at work. I do a desk job, but try and get up to walk around at least a little bit whenever I can (yes, I know it's very little). Doing small amounts all day long is better than doing nothing all day, and saying an hour at the gym will make up for it. It won't....

Anyway, wanted to share in case this might be helpful for anyone else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@angelab_76

My Charge HR had me at over 100 floors yesterday, and although I did go up and down stairs a lot, it does seem high. I did do a long walk, which went up a few rather steep hills, so I assume that was counted?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PhillC I would guess so. At least that's my experience.

@PhillC wrote:

@angelab_76

My Charge HR had me at over 100 floors yesterday, and although I did go up and down stairs a lot, it does seem high. I did do a long walk, which went up a few rather steep hills, so I assume that was counted?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PhillC As long as you go up 10 ft in elevation a floor will count.

Wind cold will effect the stair count and add more

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@WendyB

It was very cold and very windy. That would explain it. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes