Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think of a challenge that motivates people to explore nature

Greetings from Sweden, 

I wanted to send out an open question regarding the topic of hiking and how it can me more motivating to explore. 

Im planning my ever first hiking this summer and after many confusing hours in choosing the "right" gear for hiking, I've somehow in the process lost track in what makes me motivated for such anticipated journey. Nature doesn't need to pitch it self, but I'm wondering if there is a challenge out there that can motivate me trail longer tracks or maybe seeing the experience in a different way. 

I would love if you could share your thoughts when prepping for a remote outdoor experience, and what kind of challenge do you give yourself? 

Thanks in advance, 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

When hiking, make it more than just the steps and distance. Nearly every time I go out on a trail, I experience something different than the time before. You may notice different wildflowers that just bloomed, various wildlife, unusual rock formations, a small waterfall you missed before and much more. Don't just enjoy the workout, enjoy the entire experience. That is what can keep you going back for more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you ever heard of Geocaching? You download an app on your phone and go out into the city or woods to find the cache. Sign the "i found it" list and register your find. Some of them are really creative with fun clues to help you find them. You can even go out somewhere, find a beautiful place you want to share with others and create your own Geocache! 

It would be really cool if one of the new fitbits came out with a stronger gps and a geocaching app installed including a nice compass! @Fitbit You heard it here first! Do it 😛 One sold already!

Best Answer

If hiking is for you, you won't need any outside motivation. You won't be able to stop. 

Just so you know, people in different countries define hiking differently.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Depends what you are looking for and what you understand as "hiking". For some people a few hours walk in the huge park will be a hike and they won't need any special gear for it. For others, 24 hours non-stop exploration will be a hike. Motivation? For me, just curiosity to be and see new things. On a few occasions, I did night hikes (start at sunset until sunrise). Those I usually did all alone (not many people like to hike at night, especially through woods etc.). I must admit, night hikes are my favourite. Everything looks and sounds different. Sometimes scary but it is amazing experience.

Best Answer

Clothing optional hot springs.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

I've seen some people motivated by the fact they'll be able to take a selfie once they reach the top (but it actually works for them 😅). For me it's more about exploring a new place and if I'm able to go with a friend or family member it's even better, because I'll have someone I can share that memory with. 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Thank you all for wonderful answers.

It was motivating to read your stories and compelling answers. 

I’m now planning to do ever first real hike to Höga Kusten this summer after spelsugna way to much money on.  ”never camped before” gear.

:camping:❤️

Best Answer
0 Votes

Loved the idea of night hike! Thanks for the tip

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m gonna give Geocaching a go!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No problem @MandyAmes

And don't forget to share your hiking experience here in the forums 😁 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit