Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tight hip flexor muscles

Hi,

just asking for some opinions/advice.

I get a sore lower back after performing lower body training, a trainer at the gym advised its a symptom of tight hip flexor muscles, they also looked at my form when I squat and advised those muscles are also weak. So that's great.

They then  showed me a collection of stretches and recommended using the roller to stretch them out, and exercises to strengthen them.

so my question.

Do I continue training my lower body and ignore the discomfort or hang back for a couple of weeks and concentrate on stretching out these muscles?

thanks  

V

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

So, I don't have any kind of medical background or knowledge, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But from personal experience, easing back and making sure your hip flexors are stronger will help you in the long run.

When I was training for a half-marathon, my hip flexors would get so tight and it would be painful after a long run. I eased back on the mileage and focused on cross-training, and it helped wonders.

I don't know if you should entirely cut out your lower-body work, but maybe put more focus on the stretching.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ignoring discomfort is never a good idea no matter the circumstance. if you start to feel better with the stretching, you can maybe introduce a little back into your routine but if you ignore it, you may cause more damage than good. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi Guys, 

thanks for your feedback

After a couple of weeks stretching and rolling and searching the internet for answers, I thought I should get a professionals opinion.

Heading to a physio apt on Monday 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's probably the best decision! I hope everything goes well!

Best Answer
0 Votes