Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topiary January 2019 -- Step Challenge and Resolutions

Welcome to 2019!!

It is a new year, and time to get another monthly challenge underway.  It is also an opportunity to try out some resolutions ,,, a diet or exercise change, less drinking or smoking, going to bed earlier, learn a new skill … But in this case, commit for just a month and see how it goes.  You can do anything for a month, and if it still makes sense on January 31, try it again for another month in February. Or adapt it a bit.                                                        

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. That is where the monthly resolution component comes in. Try adding one new good habit and reducing one bad habit for the month.  For the good habit, maybe you'll cook at home more (I'm taking an on-line cooking class for the month).  As to your bad habit, remember it is only for a month.  And it doesn't even have to be all or nothing.  Instead of NO PIZZA for a month, maybe you'll cut your consumption in half.  (Only two Fridays instead of every Friday, for example).  I will be doing a mostly dry January and then go back to my normal dry every other day lifestyle.

This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The idea of a monthly picture scavenger hunt started last summer as a way to get people outside to show off where they live. We’ve done oldest buildings, funny street or business signs, sewer covers, holiday decorations, theatre marquees,  animals ….

The theme this month?  It is in the title — Topiary. 

Peace, man ...Peace, man ...

That’s gonna be hard for some folks, but go find three pics if you can.

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
208 REPLIES 208

4 January

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                       4/20                                          

4 days over 15,000 steps per month                              2/4                           

1 day over 20,000 steps                                                    2/1                          

Swim 2x per week (when I'm home)  - 6                        1/6                                          

Dance prac 6 hours a week (when Im home) - 18       5/18  

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                         1/6

At least 3 scavenger hunt pics                                          -/3 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

For yesterday - 8662 steps

Through Jan 3
10000K  2/23

Post here  3/23

Food recording 3/31

Weigh 3/27

Errand and cleaning day.  Thought I would make it up at rehearsal but we had so many people missing we just did line reading in chairs.  Forgot to cap it off before bed. 

Best Answer

Topiary January - Day 4

12,000 steps - 4/20 days

1-min (or longer) Modified Plank - 3/15 days
Training w/weights - 3/15 days
40 jumping jacks - 4/15 days
Line Dance - 0/6 days

IF5/2 (stay under +/- 600 cal 2x/wk) - 0/8 days

Eat a piece of fruit - 4/25 days

Topiary Scavenger Hunt - 0/3 pics

Best Answer

Topiary January Day 4

Steps: Goal 13000 31 days: 4/31
Boxing 31 days: 431
Bike 2 times 31 days: 4/31
Weights DVD 17 days: 2/31
Stomach Youtube 31 days : 4/31
Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 4 /31
250 Steps per hour 31 days : 4 /31
Post Scavenger hunt photos: 0/3

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Doing well with consistency so far. Only a few days in, but I won't complain!

• 10,000 steps per day 3/3
  • Minimum 64 ounces of water daily 3/3
  • Minimum of 5 workouts a week (cardio) 3 this week so far
  • Minimum of 5 workouts a week (strength) 3 this week so far
  • Daily relaxation/meditation for at least 5 minutes 3/3
  • Alcohol only on weekends (the daily glass of bourbon is nice, but counterproductive) met the goal for this week
  • Read two books finished 1/3 of a book yesterday
  • Topiary Photo Challenge (no luck here yet)
Married mom of two back on the bandwagon.
Goal? Be back in fighting shape to fend off a zombie apocalypse - or at least the temptation of the Three Bs (bacon, burgers, and bourbon).
Best Answer

January 4 results:

Over 10,000 steps 25 days this month - 3/25

"New" - Over 15,000 steps 5 days this month - 0/5

Minimum 5,000 steps daily - 4/31

15 minutes Calisthenics 20 days this month - 2/20

Calorie intake at least 500 calories less than calories burned for 25 days - 4/25

Swim/aquafit class for 45 minutes 10 times this month - 4/10

10 floors daily - 4/31

Lose 4 pounds this month - 0/4 lbs

3 scavenger hunt posts - 0/3 pics 

Health Goals: Age gracefully, Walk more, Eat well, Lose weight, Be happy
Best Answer

Topiary January Day 4

15K steps/day 3/31

1 pushup/day

4/31

15 weight-lifting days

0/15

post scavenger pics

0/3

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

0/12

Complete Foodistkitchen cooking class

4/30

Dry January (mostly)

1/31

Slow start on the Dry January metric, but I got back from my working vacation out West a few hours ago, and I'm ready to settle in.  Great to see all the new faces in the challenge!

I don't think I can count either of the pics below as part of the topiary challenge (maybe the second one if I get desperate this month), but I thought they were fun.

An Arizona Merry ChristmasAn Arizona Merry ChristmasTopiary?  Maybe.  Not quite sure whether they are trained into this shape or if it occurs naturallyTopiary? Maybe. Not quite sure whether they are trained into this shape or if it occurs naturally

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Status update for 1/4/19:

6,000 steps a day on 28 days:  3/28

10,000 steps a day on 5 days: 1/5

Water intake of 64 ounces a day every day: 4/31

Get 7+ hours of sleep on 20 nights:2/20

Post 3 scavenger hunt photos: 0/3

Check in & log status on 20 days: 3/20

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and my son and I are going downtown to browse some museums and what not. I’m hoping to find a topiary or two. If I can stay focused, I’m going to aim to make it a 10,000 step day. 

Best Answer

@Baltoscott - I see that you do 5k races, is that true?  I’ve **rather spontaneously ** signed up for a 5k in about 3 weeks. Any training tips?  I’m walking it with my daughter but still don’t want to finish last. Should I start walking 5k every day right away? Or work up to it 5k over a few days? Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Best Answer

@Baltoscott They just grow that way! No trimmings involved. I have been keeping my eye out for topiary in Albany and I think the closest I will get is an interesting natural shape or a trimmed hedge! Not somethjng anyone seems to do around here!

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                       5/20                                          

4 days over 15,000 steps per month                              3/4                           

Swim 2x per week (when I'm home)  - 6                        2/6                                          

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                         1/6

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

For yesterday - 10837 steps

Through Jan 4
10000K  3/23

Post here  4/23

Food recording 4/31

Weigh 4/27

I strongly doubt I will make 10K today.  Was awake from 3-7:30 am then fell back to sleep and now am all disoriented.  Taking 5 teenagers to the theatre tonight.  But it is already noon and I am still under 1K. 

Best Answer

January 5 results:

Over 10,000 steps 25 days this month - 4/25

"New" - Over 15,000 steps 5 days this month - 1/5

Minimum 5,000 steps daily - 5/31

15 minutes Calisthenics 20 days this month - 3/20

Calorie intake at least 500 calories less than calories burned for 25 days - 5/25

Swim/aquafit class for 45 minutes 10 times this month - 5/10

10 floors daily - 5/31

Lose 4 pounds this month - 0/4 lbs

3 scavenger hunt posts -  1/3

Topiary?  Yes, I think so.Topiary? Yes, I think so.Topiary?  Maybe not!Topiary? Maybe not!

Health Goals: Age gracefully, Walk more, Eat well, Lose weight, Be happy
Best Answer

Topiary January Day 5

Steps: Goal 13000 31 days: 5/31
Boxing 31 days: 5/31
Bike 2 times 31 days: 5/31
Weights DVD 17 days: 2/31
Stomach Youtube 31 days : 5/31
Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 5 /31
250 Steps per hour 31 days : 5 /31
Post Scavenger hunt photos: 0/3

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Topiary January Day 5

15K steps/day 4/31

1 pushup/day

5/31

15 weight-lifting days

0/15

post scavenger pics

2/3

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

2/12

Complete Foodistkitchen cooking class

4/30

Dry January (mostly)

1/31

@NellyG -- I think the way to do topiary with cactus plants is the Mr. Potato Head approach.  I'll need to add some big plastic eyes, nose, lips and ears to the one of those I come across 🙂

I'm looking for some animals, but for now I'll go with these for the scavenger hunt (I think the spiralized effect is kind of cool, but I'll only count that as one since it seems to be a repeating theme around my neighborhood):

IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1692.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1695.jpg

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I like those last two @Baltoscott

I'm having trouble finding any. Went to a rich neighborhood today and nothing. Will keep trying

My neighborhood just makes sure they are trimmed

Community Council Member

Best Answer

We did go to 2 museums today but my leisurely steps weren’t deliberate enough to count. It was very exciting to see a piece that my daughter has in a gallery. They feature a local high school each quarter and her school is on right now. Alas, if I saw a topiary, I forgot about it. I’ve got to keep it in my mind. 

Status update for 1/5/19:

6,000 steps a day on 28 days:  4/28

10,000 steps a day on 5 days: 1/5

Water intake of 64 ounces a day every day: 5/31

Get 7+ hours of sleep on 20 nights: 3/20

Post 3 scavenger hunt photos: 0/3

Check in & log status on 20 days: 4/20

Best Answer

Topiary January - Day 5

12,000 steps - 4/20 days

1-min (or longer) Modified Plank - 3/15 days
Training w/weights - 3/15 days
40 jumping jacks - 4/15 days
Line Dance - 0/6 days

IF5/2 (stay under +/- 600 cal 2x/wk) - 0/8 days

Eat a piece of fruit - 5/25 days

Topiary Scavenger Hunt - 0/3 pics

The only goal I fulfilled was eating a piece of fruit. I was very close to being under 600 calories but then ... I ate some more. 😁

Best Answer

January Day 6

10,000 steps: 6/26

Plank: 6/26

Drink 1 litre of water: 6/26

Photo scavenger hunt: 0/3

I expected to see a topiary on my walk today but didn't have any luck. I'm changing up my usual route this week, so maybe I'll find something. 

Best Answer

6 January

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                       6/20                                          

4 days over 15,000 steps per month                              4/4                           

Swim 2x per week (when I'm home)  - 6                        2/6                                          

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                         2/6

Community Council Member

Best Answer

January goals:

Steps 15,000 per day

20+ floors per day I cut my floors back because sometimes the weather or working in the yard keeps me from getting lots of floors.

7+ miles per day

2 sets of 12 reps of dumbbell curls, triceps, shoulder shrugs, and chest flys, 3 times a week.

Three or more pics of each scavenger hunt topic. 

Check in at least 2x a week.

Topiary! In the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest! 
 Perhaps I can find a natural formation of some sort.

weights 3x a week

check in 2x a week

Jan 1  steps 25,184, floors 28, miles 12.24

12/2 steps 25,756, floors 29, miles 12.59

12/3 steps 26,267, floors 33, miles 12.58

12/4 steps 24,677, floors 33, miles 11.84

12/5 steps 25,940, floors 30, miles 12.42 

Jake and some very warm January weather has pushed up my floors. It was 66 yesterday, headed for 65 today.  

weights 3/12

check in 1/8

Strange weather indeed, light rain for Tuesday "they" said! by Wednesday morning we had 3".  Here is a picture taken where my driveway joins the county road. A few hours later it was flowing below the bridge.

creek floodingcreek flooding

Best Answer