Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking calories burned while playing drums

Hello,

I've found a lot of similar threads related to this topic but no answer for my particular part of the question.

I bought a Fitbit Inspire mainly to track my burned calories while playing drums, which seems like I might have made a bad choice. Without a specific activity selection on the device, it just add steps counted. I've done the trick of going back and logging driving as a previous activity to remove the steps, as suggested in previous topics about drumming, but I think this then messes up the calorie count.

I just finished a fairly intense 72-minute drumming session and selected cycling on my device before I started. This still logged over 6000 steps and 622 burned calories. How accurate would this calorie-count be? Roughly in the right ballpark or way off? Would there be a better choice of activity to select before I start a session to get a more accurate count of calories burned? I logged driving to remove the steps, but this also added an extra 115 calories burned on top of the other 622.

It seems like the option to add a drumming activity is very unlikely at this point, so what's the best way to go about trying to get more accurate results?

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Calories are just based on heart rate, not steps.  Use the on-wrist Exercise App to start and end the session.  Really doesn't matter what you choose.  Workout is a good choice when your specific choice isn't listed.  Your step count will be greatly exaggerated but that won't affect calorie burn.  You probably want to slide Fitbit as far up wrist as possible so not affected by wrist movement.  Drumming with lot of wrist movement is the type of activity that might mess up heart rate tracking so check heart rate graph in exercise summary afterward to see if it looks reasonable.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Yeah it's pretty annoying they still dont have a drumming activity and people have been asking for it for years. I record it as table tennis 🤷‍:male_sign:

Best Answer

I also have cardiogram app and it links to my fitbit app and does a fair job of logging my drum sessions. However, now I'm concerned about the vibration affecting the wearable when I'm using the practice pad.  Just got back into practicing my chops and been getting some unusual HR  readings lately 

Best Answer
0 Votes