Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking usage of weight machines

ANSWERED

I just recently got a membership to the YMCA and have spent the last 3 weeks being more active than I have been in an extremely long time! I'm really enjoying tracking my steps and exercise with my Fitbit (Charge HR2). I'm curious to know how folks track their usage of weight machines in a public environment like this where you have to wipe down the machine after your use. I have "Weights" as a quick option on my Fitbit. At first I was just starting that before I started and stopping it when I was totally done (all machines and the time to wipe down in between). I remembered that I can pause the activity tracking, so I've since starting pausing between machines while I wipe down. But I was thinking the wipe down time is about the same as my rest time between reps so maybe I shouldn't pause. I know it's not really important, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought of this and what they do!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just use the weights option or don't worry about tracking at all. Sometimes, I use the treadmill option, so I can see the steps accumulate.

I suggest keeping a logbook of all your lifting so you can track the progress and remember the adjustment settings, weights, etc. In my opinion, real progress is best measured by the weight and the number of reps. I have a long term progression planned.

If they have a free trainer, check them out. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

I just use the weights option or don't worry about tracking at all. Sometimes, I use the treadmill option, so I can see the steps accumulate.

I suggest keeping a logbook of all your lifting so you can track the progress and remember the adjustment settings, weights, etc. In my opinion, real progress is best measured by the weight and the number of reps. I have a long term progression planned.

If they have a free trainer, check them out. 

Best Answer

I just let it run until I'm done (including warm up and cool down)

Best Answer

I select the "Weights" option on my FitBit and just let it run the clock until I am completely finished with my workout.  I wouldn't be concerned about time spent resting (unless you're taking a 5 minute rest between sets) or sanitizing the machines.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Hi @Machabit  Welcome to the forums.

I either do as others here do and just set the activity for weights at the beginning and turn if off at the end without any pauses, or I don't track it on fitbit at all.  Pausing while wiping or resting would be almost as much work as the weight-lifting itself! Yikes!  😉

As @GershonSurge suggests, it makes sense to track your weightlifting in a little more detail than fitbit allows for.  You want to improve over time and to do that you need to keep track of what you are doing.  I use an app on my iPhone called FitnessBuilder, but there are a ton of choices.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thank you all! I figured I was probably over thinking it too much. 🙂 And thanks for the tip on tracking my reps and weights! I have seen others in the fitness center doing that. And in the few weeks I've been going I have noticed I've been able to increase reps and weights some already. So that is a good idea to track that. Thank you!!!!!

Best Answer

I just start "workout" but it would be nice if the app allowed to create a custom exercise with custom fields and just ( if uses HR ) override calories burnt. I know there is set of exercises we can log but first of all, we can't use them as a shortcut ( most of them ) and frankly, the list is too short. So, for now, I just start "workout" to know when I started and ended exercising and whatever I do goes under this one category ( with exceptions of ones that can have a shortcut ).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jefit is a good option to log and track your weights machine progress. It also allows you to build your work-out. I use it since a month and I am quite happy with it. The exercise catalog is very complete. 

Best Answer

How do you turn off the “weights” setting? I went to the gym last night, turned it on, and then went home and slept and that has been running for 10 hours+ now. And I don’t know how to turn it off or “end it” 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dk1993 It depends on which Fitbit device you have.  If you have a Versa device, there should be a little flag in the upper right hand corner to stop the exercise or a play/pause button in the lower right hand corner.  This will let you pause and finish the activity.

If you're on the Charge 3 or the Inspire, you need to tap the button on the left hand side of the device and this will pause your workout, then tap the button again and it will ask if you want to finish the workout or return to it.  Just tap on finish and you're then given a summary of your exercise session.

Hope this helps.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes