Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking while on stationary bike

So here is my question...due to an injury to my neck, I can only use the stationary bike for the time being. How do I track my steps while cycling?? I want to make sure that I hit my steps per day and/or cardio per day. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Best Answer
0 Votes
48 REPLIES 48

Hi @eringirl2179,

As far as cardio, that time will still show up as active minutes. Steps on a stationary bike are a little tricky. Wrist-based trackers like Fitbit count steps by looking at the motion of your arm swing as you walk. On a bike the arms don't move as much, so fewer steps are counted. I get about 1/3 of the steps on a bike that I would walking the same amount of time.

The only thing you could do to increase steps is to take your hands off the bars and let them swing as you bike, but it seemed kind of awkward to me. I would focus mostly on getting your active minutes any way you can while you heal up.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@eringirl2179

Biking is not a step based activity, so why do you want to register it as steps? I would register it as biking as that is what you are doing. Does not mean it is not a good activity, but you might want to change your goals accordingly. Maybe aim for more active minutes and less steps.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@eringirl2179 -- you could put your tracker in your pocket or sock while riding the bike.  That will get you some step "credit" to keep you in challenges and otherwise motivate you while you recover from your injury.  Just be up front about it.  In my experience from riding a bike outdoors, I can only accumulate "steps" at about 2/3 the rate per hour cycling as when I walk fast, so there is no advantage to biking instead of walking in step challenges.  Keep track of the time you are doing it, and then enter a manual stationary cycling activity during that time period.  It will correct the calorie burn to better match what you actually did without overwriting the steps.

Hope your neck heals up fast!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I bought and extender for the band for my Blaze so I can wear it as an anklet. It seems to track steps pretty well actually when I am on a stationary bike. BTW I do not move my hands. I just set the Exercize type to bike. The only thing is you have to have your phone in close proximity so it can stay synced.

Best Answer

I am new to Fitbit.I would like to use the stationary bike as an activity.Not steps.I used the "treadmill" to get a better idea of my exercise efforts. What is working for you?

Best Answer

eringirl12179:  I could never get an accurate assessment of HR and calories burned when on my stationary bike.  I think it was because I kept changing my hand placement on the handle bars.  I switched to placing my FitbitHR on my ankle, now I get and accurate HR and calories burned, step count is about 10% lower than it should be( I do 70 RPM's for 45 minutes), but switching it to my ankle gave me the information I'm most interested in.  Have a good day.

Best Answer

I will put my fitbit strapped to my cycling shoe.  It will count the steps. As far as accuracy goes, I have no idea how accurate it is but it does records the motion.  

Best Answer
MrFizzBee: I placed my fitbit around my ankle because when it was on my
wrist it would not accurately monitor my heart rate because of changing
hand positions. When on my ankle the heart rate was monitored correctly, I
was never interested in step count anyway.
Best Answer

Hi @eringirl2179  As you can see from this thread there are several options. For me I had to decide what was most important, heart hate vs. step count and to be honest it changes daily, which dictates in my Fitbit is on my shoe or my wrist. Someplace in the middle is I wear it on my wrist and instead of holding on to the handle bar, I keep my tracker hand on my knee. That way I get steps, heart rate, and active minutes. This only works for a medium difficultly ride, anything harder than that I need to grip the handle bars. You might want to give it a try. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

This technology is very intelligent. I'm currently restricted to just walking due to injuries to both knees so low impact activity is about all I can handle, however, when I'm walking, I get into a rhythm that includes high swings with both arms. It helps me with balance and concentration. My Fitbit tracker is smart enough to realize that my arm motion is high and rhythmic and changes my activity automatically from simple walking to elliptical. I noticed this was happening on the recorded data and connected the dots on why. You should be able to manually change the settings on your profile but even if you don't, the tracker should be able to sense your movement and adjust accordingly. Remember that it will not begin recording your activities until you have sustained at least 10-15 of activity first, depending on your settings. Adjust the seat on your stationary bike so you can balance yourself better and get those arms moving!

Best Answer

Is it possible to track your steps when using a stationary exercise bike??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually tie my fit to my sneaker or slide inside my gym pant leg. Works for me. It might not be real accurate but it does record most of the steps. 🙂

Best Answer

I agree with EYSA. Why would you want to track it as steps. The intensity is not the same when your cycling. When i am training for races i am more concerned tracking my heartrate and cals burned. Put your tacker on excersise and select bike to record your session. you will get more acurate data.

Ironman Finisher Triathlete
Best Answer

I am tracking it as steps because I am moving. Pretty plan and simple. I am not running a marathon or keeping track of my heart rate or my calories burned. That is what I do with my fitbit. This is for my own personal goals. Moving 60 minutes on an exercise bike is better than sitting on a couch for 60 minutes. I am not in a competition with anyone other than myself. 

Best Answer

Well there you have it. Good Luck!

Ironman Finisher Triathlete
Best Answer
Thanks much for the information and will give it a try.

Annette
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I use my stationary bike I set my Fitbit to "Workout". Typically I do five miles a day but my bike has moving handles as well as pedals. I am OK with the results that my Fitbit provides after this workout but I like the idea of setting the exercise as a bike and putting the Fitbit in my sock so I think I'll give it a try. Last time I took a ride outside on my mountain bike the Fitbit recoded the route and the number of miles.

Best Answer
Spoiler
Spoiler
Oh I'm going to try this.  Back in the days of those plastic non-digital pedometers, I used to the it to my shoe laces for accurate steps. Thanks for the idea with the Fitbit!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sheila_D: I strap the Fitbit on the outside of my ankle so I get an
accurate HR reading and step ,count.
Best Answer