Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking every day

I've heard some people say that just like you shouldn't do the same weight workout every day so your muscles can heal, you also shouldn't walk every day. Is this true? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I moved your post to the Get Moving forum.  I think it is a better fit for your question and more users will share their opinions.  Personally, I think the need for recovery after walking depends the distance involved.  I walk almost daily and have favorite routes.  Some of them are almost five miles.  But I've also done 20 mile charity walks and definitely need muscle recovery after those walks!

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hello @BKMDANO 

I'm in agreement with @LZeeW ; need for recovery depends on the distance involved with your walking regime. Think about people who have dogs. Most will do daily walks with their dog. There's also the 10K steps per day recommendation. Although, I've seen that there are studies which indicate not everyone, especially seniors, needs to do 10K steps daily to receive health benefits.

If you're walking 10K/5 miles daily, you should be fine and not have to take a rest day. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I'll be 66 in November and retired at the end of last year. I have
started walking 3-4 miles a day. Sometimes on my treadmill and sometimes
down at the ballfield close to where I live. Twice a week I do a 15 mile
bike ride.
Best Answer

Hi @BKMDANO 

Congratulations on your retirement! 

Your walking & biking regime looks pretty good. Just to let you know, the CDC recommends at least 2 days a week of strengthening activities along with balance activities for us older folks: CDC guidelines for physical activity

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I didn't mention that I also have a "Joe Weider" weight machine
and a Bullworker that I use one or the other at least 5 times a week. 🙂
Best Answer

Hi @BKMDANO, well don't do same walk everyday, Maybe crab walk on Monday, knee-to-chest walk on Tuesday, walk on your hands on Wednesday ... 😀

Just kidding. Listen to your body. A rest day doesn't mean not moving at all, but cutting back some after a lot of effort makes sense. Fitbit has a readiness score that can help with that, but it sounds like you've got a pretty balanced routine.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer