Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking vs Elliptical

Twice this week, I took a 30-40 minute walk and my Fitbit registered it as 18 minutes of elliptical?  This hasn't happened to me in the 2+ years I've had my Fitbit.  Does this have to do with walking speed, arm movements?  Why did this happen?  Can I change it manually?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

For your records for review yes you can change it - it's just an Activity Record that says this was the activity for this chunk of time - here's the stats Fitbit saw.

So you can edit the title to whatever you want that's useful for later review.

Calorie burn was already based on HR probably, so no change there. Distance was already based on estimated stride length, so no change there (would have been wrong for elliptical actually since different motion). HR reading will be the same.

Arm motion would be it probably along with foot impacts - perhaps you walk softly.

And carry a big stick!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@smbbach Welcome to our Fitbit forums. In case your Fitbit device tracks your walking activity as "Eliptical", please restart your Fitbit device as described in this help article.

After this, check out this help page, which explains how your Fitbit device tracks your workouts. Finally, monitor your Fitbit device and see if it tracks the Walking activity properly.

Thank you for your help my friend @Heybales.

See you guys around.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

@smbbach this happens to me often and I think it comes from the way I am striding. It happens more often if I am doing a quick step walk with a shorter stride. I just change it when I see the mistake. The HR and the actual step count do not get impacted. It used to annoy me to no end, now I just do an eye roll and click the edit feature. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks very much!

Thanks!  I've done a re-start and will see what happens.

Thanks so much for your response.  Appreciate the tip and will manually adjust if/when I need to.  Take care!

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are very welcome, @smbbach. Thank you for the time to try the recommended troubleshooting steps.

Thank you for sharing your feedback as well my friend @emili.

See you both later.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes