Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

A greater concern for me than 100% accuracy is that if I tried putting my foot up on the sink like that, I'd dislocate my hip, lose my balance and knock myself out on the tap, probably smashing the mirror in the process!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
Lol hahahaha hahaha thank you fir the smile !!!
Best Answer

You lose the heart rate readings but sounds good if step count accuracy is more important to you.

Edited to add later: I guess you don't necessarily lose heart rate reading. I tried it and got good reading while walking but not rowing; will experiment more while rowing since wrist reads way too high while rowing, for me at least.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I have the flex 2, which doesn't do heart rate, so all is well ! Thank you
for your thoughts.

Best Answer

@Dave001 wrote:

A greater concern for me than 100% accuracy is that if I tried putting my foot up on the sink like that, I'd dislocate my hip, lose my balance and knock myself out on the tap, probably smashing the mirror in the process!

🙊🙊🙈🙈😂😂😂😂😅

Best Answer

I think it will be ok for you to wear it in your ankle. You probably want to try your right arm.

Best Answer

it is not recommended by fitbit to wear your tracker in a way not intended. If anything happens to it, you risk voiding the warranty. Just so you are aware. If you really just want a pedometer, the zip or the one would probably work for you better than a flex since you are interested in mileage only. just a thought..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I use the Zip @emili and it is absolutely wonderful. 

I need to change the battery very infrequently, it is idiot proof (I need that!), when used with the iPhone app it does all the GPS malarkey that more expensive trackers do and you can even export activities to Strava if you're so inclined.

I even found a wrist strap for it on Amazon!

I'm at a loss as to why people would spend a small fortune on a more expensive Fitbit.

Best Answer

I have a Blaze. I ordered a band extender from Etsy which is made just for the Blaze. In fact they have a lot of Fitbit accessories. I wear my device on my ankle while I am at the gymn. I get a much more accurate on the Elliptical machine. Wearing the device on my wrist was particularly problematic on that machine. 

Best Answer

@Dave001 wrote:

I'm at a loss as to why people would spend a small fortune on a more expensive Fitbit.

Maybe things like real-time heart rate, resting heart rate, cardio fitness, route maps, relaxation feature, calories burned counts, and manual exercise modes?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

It could be that stuff @WavyDavey, but there's a danger with pulse rate measurement that people forget that there's more to the pulse than rate. 

Any clinician or trainer worth their salt will be just as interested in the rhythm and volume. They'll also check it at more than one site.

A simple pulse rate from one pulse site is of little value in an overall assessment of cardiovascular health.

It's also worth considering the worry that pulse rate monitoring causes. How many threads do we see here where people are worried that their pulse rate is too high/low, or speeding up/slowing down, or varying throughout the day? In the majority of users, these will be entirely normal, but cause endless worry.

Automatic pulse rate measurement is not necessarily a wonderful advancement. I don't deny that it's useful for assessing trends over extended periods, but I can make a more thorough self-assessment using nothing more complicated that my finger tips and a watch with a second hand.

Just food for thought. 

FTR: 56, regular, full. 

Best Answer

You actually don't loose the heart rate.  I have a Charge 2 and wear the pebble portion of the fitbit over the artery on the inside of the ankle just above the ankle bone.  It pics up my heart rate and also auto detected my 17 minute walk during my work break.  

Best Answer

I like that my Alta 1) functions as a watch so I don't have to have multiple things on my wrist, 2) has a display where I can see my progress without having to sync, 3) shows my heart rate, and 4) alerts me when I need to get up and walk.

Best Answer

With the One being discontinued, when it finally dies, the replacement will be a basic model strapped on the ankle, the wrist is just not accurate

that or somehow clip it to the belt/waist

Best Answer

hmm I might charge 2 wear it in my ankle lol. I hope it will get more accurate reading but I am going to miss watching how many steps I did lolz

Best Answer

I wear my Alta HR on my ankle using a band purchase from Etsy. This position is much more comfortable during sleep time for me.  Many color selections and its custom fit for both ankle and wrist make it a good choice.  The maker has anklet braclets for all fitbit models.

Best Answer

@vickibowman  The only time I wear the Fitbit on my ankle is when I'm on my stationary bike, because that is the only way I can get an accurate HR while cycling.  I doubt wearing on your ankle will void any warranty.

Best Answer

I've noticed when I'm pushing my grandson in the stroller with both hands, the fitbit isn't counting my steps.  When I sync my phone, which does keep track of steps, the fitbit overrides the step count on my phone app.Today I lost 2500 steps after the synching! Ugh.  However, when I rock him in the rocking chair later today, it will count the movement as steps. Crazy. 

I guess my fitbit charge 2 will be on my ankle for now on when I'm pushing a stroller. Lol

Best Answer

I haven't been happy overall with inaccurate step counts & HR with the Charge2.  I have to push the stroller one handed for the steps to count, yet it tells me I reached my 250 step goal while rocking my little one to sleep?  Come on.  My husband has the Ionic and says it's pretty good but...I'm not sure I want to feed any more money into Fitbit products.

Best Answer