Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

I love this idea. I want a tracker, not a watch. I recently purchased an Inspire2 with a clip and it was horrible. I returned it (it was too putzy to get the info I wanted)-maybe the new Inspire is better, idk. Now I'm back to using my ancient "One" that I clip on my bra. I know eventually it will wear out and have been discouraged trying to find a replacement. I wear my Apple Watch on my wrist and like it as a smart watch but it never counts my steps correctly so I like my Fitbit for that. Thanks for the great idea!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I had to laugh when I read your comment sounded like something I would try and literally fall over lol I needed a laugh. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
How do you do that? The band for my wrist is no where near long enough to
be used for my ankle!
Best Answer
0 Votes
You just have to look for bands which are longer. Check out Amazon & Ebay.

Sent from my mobile device. 😎
Best Answer
0 Votes
Bigger bands available on Amazon.
Best Answer
0 Votes
There are ankle bands available on Amazon and on Etsy. And my Fitbit came
with two straps. One was long enough to fit around my ankle. BUT, after
wearing it on my wrist and on my ankle, I opted for buying a clip. I get
good readings for steps wearing it clipped to my undies.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the idea!
Best Answer
0 Votes
For a long time I put it into a iPhone holder thing made for arm with Velcro. But my Fitbit I have now fits on my ankle. I’m on a more than a year stepstreak no less than 10,000 steps a day! Thanks for your comment.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I live where I get pretty snowbound in winter and sometimes have to resort to stationary bike. I never need it during the warm time. Best to you.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think you can buy from Amazon. Someone mentioned before. .my fit bit is
a simple flex 2.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the opposite problem; my work involves a lot of arm movement, and I'm sure my  device is over-estimating my steps, maybe dramatically so.
I might try wearing it on my ankle at work, but on my wrist when exercising for comfort, and ease of  access.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I discovered when pushing my dog in a stroller that I was logging NO steps!  Ugh!  I went a long distance to NOT get any credit for my efforts.  Same when in the grocery store pushing a shopping cart.  THEN I discovered that if I attached my Fitbit to my tennis shoe laces, voila!  Steps were counted!  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep exactly why I initially suggested an ankle monitor-type. That’s the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I still get reading on my ankle for my heart beat and like that spot the best really..I think it is accurate too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm thinking of doing this (or testing it) when I'm on my exercise bike

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are too funny!!!!

Have a great day 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me while at Ikea.  Versa 4 said something like 200 steps.  At IKEA!!!  We don't have Ikea at home, so I was in there, and moving the entire time, for 3 hours!  What a disappointing reading, lol.

Best Answer

I wonder about this as well.  If I ride for an hour, it says I burn 200 calories (and obviously doesn't give me any steps).  I'll be dripping with sweat from head to toe, and it says I've done next to nothing. Pretty disheartening!  

Best Answer
0 Votes
If your HR was going high enough on the ride, especially if you started
a workout - Fitbit was using HR-based calorie burn, not step-based.
So while you got a low step count - that's immaterial for calories
burned. Merely stinks for challenges.

If this is within the 1st 2 weeks of using it - that's not a good
estimate either - shoot after 2 weeks it still may not be!

Since you see the calorie burn from the workout - you should be able to
see the avgHR too - what was it?

Sweat is actually not a good indicator of a good workout - merely an
indicator your body was hot. I sweat really well sitting in the sun in
summer humidity - I don't imagine I'm burning more than sitting calorie
burn.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Vicki!  I have been wearing my fitbit on my ankle since 2017. You are right.. it is very accurate. 

Best Answer