Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong?

Dear Fitbit'ers,

Last year I underwent a year of college rowing, but due circumstances I wasn't able to finish the year. 

Student life took his tole and I started to gain weight and my Resting Heart Rate went sky high. 

In November I started making a new training program to get back in shape and to lower my heart rate.

Two things raised question marks:

I am training (approx.) 5 times a week to 7 times, which is a combination of weight training and cardio, like rowing and kickboxing,  and I am not losing any weight and my Resting Heart Rate is stuck between 58 to 60, whilst I am used to 53 to 55.

Does someone know where the flaws are and how to solve them?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

How many calories are you eating a day?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@OOOOtje wrote:

I am not losing any weight and my Resting Heart Rate is stuck between 58 to 60, whilst I am used to 53 to 55.

Welcome to the community, @OOOOtje! For weight loss to occur, you need to be in a caloric deficit: there are two sides to that equation, your energy expenditure and your dietary intake. You only mentioned your training (which is only part of your total activity) and said nothing about what and how much you are eating. As to your resting HR: 58-60 is not bad in absolute terms, and it’s close enough to 53-55 not to be overly concerned about it. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

hey @OOOOtje welcome to the community! exactly as @Dominique and @Ja5On mentioned- its not just how often you work out or even the effort that goes in. As far as your RHR- that can vary day to day, week to week based on many different factors- how cold it is, how hot it is, do you have a cold, did you eat more salt, less salt, more sleep, less sleep, alcohol, medication, the list is long. As long as you are in a healthy range for you- a few beats here and there won't make you less heart healthy.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@OOOOtjeI started tracking the RHR and sleeping HR because we had abnormal high temperatures in late Spring and early Summer. Also others in the Forums were concerned about the jumps in RHR... Mine went to 74 after a hip operation over 2 years ago and it took 6 weeks to normalize.  Also I found RHR is an excellent precursor to oncoming colds etc  I also support @emili and at @Dominique with their posts.

Also a little alcohol on Christmas and New Years. Sleeping on top of the bed in shorts, and a single blanket as it got cooler.. The night HR also reflected the heavier activity the day before,,  I also found it has a large bearing on your RHR.. Refer graph which has the overnight low temperatures in oC and oF... also a typical nights sleep where I average around 8 hours according to my sleep graphs.

Sleeping HR 5jan18.jpg

RHR 5jan18.jpgSleep 4jan18.jpg

@emili wrote:

hey @OOOOtje welcome to the community! exactly as @Dominique and @Ja5On mentioned- its not just how often you work out or even the effort that goes in. As far as your RHR- that can vary day to day, week to week based on many different factors- how cold it is, how hot it is, do you have a cold, did you eat more salt, less salt, more sleep, less sleep, alcohol, medication, the list is long. As long as you are in a healthy range for you- a few beats here and there won't make you less heart healthy.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer